booming sound system on outboard yamaha 115

DemBoyz

Cadet
Hello guys im new to this but i had a question.. i bought a 2013 glastron gt180 with a yamaha 115 outboard. The boat came with a nice tower but now i want to install some tower speakers and a sub. The question is this.. my boat came with only 1 battery. What would i need to be able to run 2 amps without killing my battery?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: booming sound system on outboard yamaha 115

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

For 5 minutes? Sure! But beyond that, it's not possible to answer without knowing many more details. But the best bet is to have second battery and at least a battery switch to help ensure you don't get stranded. With really powerful amps, you might even need another battery to keep the tunes going.

DemBoyz

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.. i started doing a little research on the yamaha and it states the alternator puts out 24amps. Would that be enough to charge both batteries or would i need a charger? Isolator?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

You really need to give a little more info....... what budget range, what do you consider booming like how big of a sub and how many speakers.......

UncleWillie

Captain

24 amps is ~300 Watts Absolute Max when the engine is reved up. Much less at idle. Nothing when Stopped.
Some of that (~50w) will be needed just to power the engine ignition circuits and budget another 50 to charge the battery back up.
Allow another 50 for all the gauges and lights and other stuff you may have on board.

That leaves you ~150w for your audio equipment.
Keep the AMPs below 50 Watts per side and you might just make it,
but it will be straining the alternator if you keep it up continuously.
Keep the music at conversational levels and everyone on the lake will appreciate it!

If you dedicate one deep cycle battery to the sound system while anchored;
The alternator will recharge the battery when you restart the engine with the music OFF.
Keep the engine reved up and the batteries should be fully charged it in less than 10 hours. ;)

You are going to need a Shore Powered Charger!

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

unfortunantly some on this forum think any boat with a nice stereo system should immediatley be scuttled.......and the boat owner drawn and quartered.........

anyhow please post some real numbers of what you are looking to accomplish, then we can actually recommend a path for you and NOT just give some arbitrary answer............

DemBoyz

Cadet

Well that sucks.. im planning on running some jlaudio components in the deck requiring at least 80w per speaker x 4 plus 2 tower speakers that take at least 100 w each. I would love to add a sub but only if possible..i had in mind to add a a optima deep cycle battery but will 1 be enough?

UncleWillie

Captain

Well that sucks.. I'm planning on running some audio components in the deck requiring at least 80w per speaker x 4 plus 2 tower speakers that take at least 100 w each. I would love to add a sub but only if possible..i had in mind to add a a optima deep cycle battery but will 1 be enough?

You are looking to run 500w++ of audio on a 300w alternator that only has ~150w to spare. :grumpy:
You will need to operate off of a battery for the most part.
In reality if you are cranking it, you will be pulling ~200w based on the music played.
A typical deep cycle battery drained a little over half way should give you about 500wHrs of power.
Expect a Battery to power the system at "Booming" levels for 2-3 hours.
The battery will need a multiple hour charge on a shore powered charger after you get back to the dock.

DemBoyz

Cadet

So while the boat is running will it charge the deep cycle battery too or only the boat battery? So when i get home and hook up to a/c power will both batteries charge? I bought a trickle charger from autozone and thats how ive maintained my battery in the off season. Is that good enough?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I personally don't understand the need for such a setup for loud booming music on the water to blare it out so others are force to hear it, but to each their own. Have you thought about a portable small generator?

dizzy1

Seaman

Since your alternator is just not enough, you just need to have enough deep cycle batteries seperated from the starting battery. Then when you dock or tow home, plug the stereo bank into a charger. For sure you need another battery. Depending on the JL equipment and how its wired will depend if 1 stereo battery will work or you need more. I run a JL 700/5 running inboat/tower and sub on 2 deep cycle batteries. I'm getting about 6 hours before they barely can start the boat. But have a 3rd battery seperated with switch for just starting the boat. This works but just be aware draining deep cycles full down like i'm doing will shorten their life. I hope to get 2 good years out of them so i buy basic Walmart batteries so its a cheap investment each few years to enjoy cranking the stereo at the party beach.

UncleWillie

Captain

So while the boat is running will it charge the deep cycle battery too or only the boat battery? So when i get home and hook up to a/c power will both batteries charge? I bought a trickle charger from autozone and thats how ive maintained my battery in the off season. Is that good enough?

Yes! The alternator will charge any batteries that are attached to it while the motor is running. Battery Switch?
That does not mean that the Batteries will be anywhere near full charge before you reach the dock.
The alternator might take 5-10 hours to finish the job.

A simple Trickle charger will recharge the batteries but it may take 3-5 days to do the job.
A Smart Maintainer may do it quicker and will indicate when it is charged.
A 6 amp or more Smart Charger is in your future.

Last edited:

DemBoyz

Cadet

Thats alot of help. Thanks guys.. im starting to change my mind i might just run 2 pairs of components and no tower speakers. Then ill see if i need a sub. Im looking to buy a good smart charger, optima battery, battery switch. Do i need to wire in an isolator in this circuit?

dizzy1

Seaman

I just use a switch, no isolator. The alternator will never charge the drained stereo bank so no reason for it to try. Just always park the boat in my garage and plug in the charger.

You'll end up doing all the stereo stuff down the road, just knock it out now. I end up tweaking mine every off season, should have just gone all out from the start. Bring On Another Thousand

UncleWillie

Captain

You want to be looking at a good flooded Deep Cycle Battery for the Audio System.
If you are going to Use the Second battery for the Audio exclusively, Keep it 100% isolated from the Boats electricals. If you insist on having it backed up by the alternator, an ACR is preferred over an Isolator.

Last edited:

DemBoyz

Cadet

Ok cool.. if i just use a Switch, then when im running my boat should i have it on both batteries or only the boat battery not the sounds battery? I really would only be using the stereo for about 4hours max in a day and then parking it in my garage to charge..

UncleWillie

Captain

Ok cool.. if i just use a Switch, then when im running my boat should i have it on both batteries or only the boat battery not the sounds battery? I really would only be using the stereo for about 4hours max in a day and then parking it in my garage to charge..

If you are not going to be charging the battery while running the Engine, you do not even need the Battery switch. There are at least Three different way to implement the second battery. What are your expectations?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Just for info I run a 1000 watt 4 channel amp with four speakers and my battery is just a walmart dual purpose marine........I have not had any issue's as of yet.

If I were you I would buy a jump pack. those things are really handy for more than just boating......carry that with you on the boat and see if you need to make any upgrades or not.......

DemBoyz

Cadet

Cool good info bro..im going to try to run it with 1 optima just for sounds and see what happends

DemBoyz

Cadet

All these amps are rated at 14.4v but batteries put out 12v. How can i make it 14.4v on my boat?