Bunch of Marine Audio Noob Questions

DLucchese

Recruit
Hey guys, I just purchased a 71' Glastron GT160 with a Mercury 115hp Outboard that I am restoring and am looking to add a stereo. I am familiar with stereo wiring in a car, but not so much on the water.

Basically I am planning on running a Rockford Fosgate Headunit, 3 pairs of 6.5" Rockford Fosgate M262's, a 12" Rockford Fosgate M212S4 Subwoofer and a Rockford Fosgate M400-4D 400watt Amplifier. I would like to add a second battery to the boat that will be dedicated to the stereo and any aftermarket LED lighting added. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great battery for this application?

As far as charging the battery, is it necessary to add a battery isolator or a battery switch? I plan to just throw the battery on the charger at night and hope that it will stay charged during the day....

In wiring everything up, most of the equipment is in dry places and covered, but is it necessary to use "marine rated" wiring like I see sold on some marine audio sites?

Any other recommendations to keep my boat from catching fire? :D

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bunch of Marine Audio Noob Questions

Most any name brand deep cycle battery will fit your needs. Optima Bluetop are generally considered the best, but I've heard their quality has waned in recent years. Make sure it's a TRUE DEEP CYCLE battery, some are "dual purpose" and that's not what you want.

For switching, I recommend adding a Blue Sea Add-A-Battery. It includes an ACR (automatic charging relay) that will automatically direct charging current and isolate your starting battery. Your old Merc probably has a really wimpy alternator so you need to make sure your house battery is totally isolated, and you'll need to charge it every night.

Use tinned marine style wiring, it will prevent corrosion in the long run. You can get away with regular wiring in the short term. Genuinedealz.com is a good place to buy marine wiring.

DLucchese

Recruit

Most any name brand deep cycle battery will fit your needs. Optima Bluetop are generally considered the best, but I've heard their quality has waned in recent years. Make sure it's a TRUE DEEP CYCLE battery, some are "dual purpose" and that's not what you want.

For switching, I recommend adding a Blue Sea Add-A-Battery. It includes an ACR (automatic charging relay) that will automatically direct charging current and isolate your starting battery. Your old Merc probably has a really wimpy alternator so you need to make sure your house battery is totally isolated, and you'll need to charge it every night.

Use tinned marine style wiring, it will prevent corrosion in the long run. You can get away with regular wiring in the short term. Genuinedealz.com is a good place to buy marine wiring.

Thanks Slide, appreciate the advice. I went ahead and ordered the Blue Sea Add-A-Battery today and will look for marine wiring.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Any group 31 deep cycle will do fine.