Best audio alarm

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Being hearing impaired, I have to rely on my fishing buddies to assist in listening to "bumps in the middle of the night." However, with 2 v8s running, even the crew has problems. I recently installed a second 2000 gal rule bilge pump to assist a 1500 gal rule pump. Both Johnson float switches are independent to separate batteries. I'd like to wire an alarm to one of the switches so that if the float switch energizes, we would hear it and investigate ANY problems. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to run wires from switch to under helm and install alarm there too. Yet, that wiring might be nightmarish!!!!! However, if loud enough and safe from sparks, the bilge area may be the best option. I thought about a car horn, but that might cause sparks in bilge area.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Best audio alarm

These are small, and Louder than the factory Engine Alarm and Bright. Illuminated Panel Alarm

LightedAlarm.jpg

The alarm is easily wired at the helm and will sound with both the Manual switch or the Float switch.

BilgePumpWiring.jpg

Last edited:

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Thx to all!!!!!

Not much info on size, amps, dbels etc on Illuminated Panel Alarms. I assume flush mount and water proof????? I do not want to power unit from bilge pump's manual toggle but to run parallel from float switch to alarm. Yet, a toggle switch to act as an interrupt in case of "closed" failure would be good idea. But, how loud are units???? Tried to research on www, but couldn't find any there. I am tending to believe Smokeonthewater's alarm might be best for my application. Either case, fishing wire from helm to bilge area will be a nightmare. Nothing about mechanical work on a Proline 2950 is easy!

UncleWillie

Captain

I did not panel mount my Illuminated alarm, it is Under the Dash and out of the Splash zone.
It is rated for IP65, meaning it WILL withstand a Garden Hose at 3 feet without a spray nozzle for 15 minutes.

It is loud enough that the kids hold their ears and the Admiral get annoyed enough to tell me to shut that "Darn" thing OFF after about 2 seconds. People 3 boats down the Marina will hear it! I an legally deaf above 4kHz. and have no problem hearing it. A stated, it is louder than the Engine Alarms. Hard to go wrong for $5.

Any alarm that sounds when the Float switch powers up, will also sound with the manual switch. Power is power!
It keeps me from forgetting to turn it OFF!

You can isolate the alarm to the Float Switch only, but that will complicate things and reduce the reliability factor. KISS!

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander

Something like this perhaps, you know, to mute(and auto un-mute)the alarm should it need it cuz sometimes Beer happens :D

.....Slow day.

Bildge Alarm.jpg

The alarm(whatever type you want, powered however you want) will sound when a pump turns on w just the float switch/s only and as you require but, at the helm, there is also a momentary push button "alarm kill switch" respective to the now running pump/s that caused the alarm and that will have lit up(labeled I assume)for the particular pump that has came on(auto or manual).

Once the alarm is continuously sounding(due to a pump running continuously), simply momentary push the appropriate lit up mute button to temporarily "kill" the Alarm/s(and the button's light).

When momentarily pressed, the circuit automatically latches, muting the alarm and turning off that specific push button switch's light. The circuit will remain *latched in the muted condition while(and only if) the offending pump/s remains energized(pumping).

Once the offending pump/s have turned off[stopped pumping due to the float switch opening for example(milli seconds max), the mute button/s latch circuits auto reset. The alarm and mute button lights will now both be auto switched back to the active mode and will once again sound the alarm and light the appropriate button's light/s if either pump should re-energize.

For two channels.......4 SPDT relays, couple momentary lit push button switches and 4 diodes, not too complicated eh? :noidea: And around $20.00 I'd guess depending on relay ratings and such, minus the Sirens and Disco Globe anyway :)

Add Smokes Security Alarm Siren, 20 Watt, Surface Mount and you're Space Truck'n round the Stars

***Neither Alarm or push button lights will be latched into the "mute" conditions as the circuit can not latch if either the monetary switch is not pressed or the pump/s power cycles on and off. The alarm and the button lights will continually and simply cycle on and off along with the pumps.

Last edited:

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

I did not panel mount my Illuminated alarm, it is Under the Dash and out of the Splash zone.
It is rated for IP65, meaning it WILL withstand a Garden Hose at 3 feet without a spray nozzle for 15 minutes.

It is loud enough that the kids hold their ears and the Admiral get annoyed enough to tell me to shut that "Darn" thing OFF after about 2 seconds. People 3 boats down the Marina will hear it! I an legally deaf above 4kHz. and have no problem hearing it. A stated, it is louder than the Engine Alarms. Hard to go wrong for $5.

Any alarm that sounds when the Float switch powers up, will also sound with the manual switch. Power is power!
It keeps me from forgetting to turn it OFF!

You can isolate the alarm to the Float Switch only, but that will complicate things and reduce the reliability factor. KISS!

Sorry, but physical design looks like it would be flush mount. Have any specs on size? They look very small, but sometimes looks are decieving. There are electronic gates to prohibit current back-flow, and I am sure that I can figure out something. Just need size specs. Ebay doesn't provide much. Thx!

UncleWillie

Captain

Sorry, but physical design looks like it would be flush mount. Have any specs on size? They look very small, but sometimes looks are deceiving. There are electronic gates to prohibit current back-flow, and I am sure that I can figure out something. Just need size specs. Ebay doesn't provide much. Thx!

It is 1-1/8 at the largest diameter and 2-1/2 in length.
Mounts in a 7/8" hole with the included lock ring and rubber panel gasket.
Operates on 12v AC or DC (No Polarity), 20 mA Max.

LightedAlarm1.jpg

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is also exactly what I needed. I have been contemplating this for some time and this thread just sealed the deal.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

An ounce of prevention is damn sure worth a pound of cure. Local Pensacola fisherman damn near lost his rig 60+ miles off shore a couple of weeks back. His boat sprang a leak so-to-speak and pumps worked but they didn't NOTIFY him that he had a LEAK that he could have easily fix. Also, very good idea to have at least two high volume pumps. Three is even "mo-better."