Garmin GFS 10 Fuel Flow Sensor Performance

royston22

Cadet
I have an '03 VP 5.0 GXi - C and installed a GFS 10 Fuel Flow Sensor connected via NMEA 2000 to my Garmin 720s. Performance has been odd as the fuel flow will regularly jump between, say, 2gph and 4gph under constant throttle and water conditions. It doesn't seem to hold a constant, or even a gradual change in fuel flow.
Any insights?

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Garmin GFS 10 Fuel Flow Sensor Performance

Garmih says itworks best in a vertical position rather than horizontal. You might try that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The sensor must be mounted vertically in the fuel line and preferably, in front of the fuel filter to get accurate results.

The unit is rated for a minimum 2 gpm. Flow under 2 gpm rating will be problematic

I've had mine for 5 years. Very accurate. No problems at all

Last edited:

royston22

Cadet

Mine is mounted vertically after the fuel filter. Interestingly enough, my fuel cell just failed (typical VP failure). I wonder if the failing fuel cell was causing the variation in the fuel flow.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Mine is mounted vertically after the fuel filter. Interestingly enough, my fuel cell just failed (typical VP failure). I wonder if the failing fuel cell was causing the variation in the fuel flow.
Could be...I'm guessing your problem was related to air bubbles in the line