Best Batteries for Marine Use 2014

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to see what everyone is buying and had good luck with and price they are paying

Im reluctant to put my answer in as I am loosing faith in the product.

I have been a big fan of Walmart Everstart Maxx Car starting batteries for my starting battery. 3 year full replacement, 5 year prorated.
They used to last the full 5 years then die. Now they last about 3 and die right around when your free replacement is up. They only prorate if you have your original receipt. Which is heat tape ink and it disappears after about 6 months.

its about $99.00 around here for their larger battery.

I feel like the added cost (used to be $65-$70.) would mean more lead and a better battery but it seems like they lightened them and jacked up the price.

Sams club batteries didnt seem any better on price. I dont know about their quality.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Best Batteries for Marine Use 2014

Batteries are just like boats. Maintenance is everything.

I have a 3 year old INTERSTATE Marine Battery. It appears to be as Strong as it was on day one.

Between outings, it is kept on a Smart Maintainer during the Boating season.

During the winter, the charge is topped off, and the water levels in the cells are confirmed.
It is stored in a cool/heated garage for the winter, and the charge is checked every 4-6 weeks.

I see no reason it will not last at least 10 years.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Some batteries just die early. If you ever have let your battery get completely discharged, that will lead to an early death.

If its a starting type battery and you discharge it more than just starting the boat, that will also reduce its life.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

Go with Interstate or Deka. true there is only a couple of manufactures of battries and they rebrand them for diff. companies. There is a diff in them though. The cheaper batteries have less and thinner plates

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I get most of my batteries from a farm store, believe they are made by exide.
If need be, I have bought Interstate for convenience sake.

They have all lasted between 6 and 10 years, except 1, which failed in 3 weeks.

I don't believe Walmart prorates their marine batteries any more.
Just a straight 1 or 2 year warranty depending on the battery, and done, the last time I looked.

Undoubtedly someone will be here to tell you that you should buy a $250, or $479 marine battery.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had excellent luck with Interstate batteries. But like UncleWillie stated....Proper maintenance is key.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Sears Diehard is a good battery, Enersys/Oddyssey is probably the best out there - very pricy though. Deka is quality as well.

Johnson Controls / Optima have had quality issues for a good number of years.

look here for manufacturers Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2014

I have had issues with Everstart (walmart's manufacturer) in the past.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking to see what everyone is buying and had good luck with and price they are paying

Im reluctant to put my answer in as I am loosing faith in the product.

I have been a big fan of Walmart Everstart Maxx Car starting batteries for my starting battery. 3 year full replacement, 5 year prorated.
They used to last the full 5 years then die. Now they last about 3 and die right around when your free replacement is up. They only prorate if you have your original receipt. Which is heat tape ink and it disappears after about 6 months.

its about $99.00 around here for their larger battery.

I feel like the added cost (used to be $65-$70.) would mean more lead and a better battery but it seems like they lightened them and jacked up the price.

Sams club batteries didnt seem any better on price. I dont know about their quality.

The cure for the fading sales slip is to upon getting home is to scan the sales receipt into your computer. When the need to produce the sales receipt, just print it out. NO FADES, NO BLACK OUTS.