Upgrading electrical in vintage runabout to add modern electronics - Whats required?

Hi

I have a 17' Double Eagle with 1975 Mercury 850 Outboard, power trim and tilt. I bought the boat last summer in great condition and am now looking to upgrade the electrical system. Currently none of the navigational lights work, so I will be replacing those. I also am planning to add a chartplotter/fishfinder (not sure what model yet), a VHF radio, and also moderate stereo system (deck and 4 speakers, 4 channel amplifier. Also would like ability to add an auxilary spot light down the road.

The existing wiring in the boat was recently redone by the previoius owner, but he just ran what was needed to have the engine running and install the new tachometer, and operate trim/tilt.

My main question are:

Currently I have a single battery located in battery box in the rear of the boat in the splash well. This is a closed bow model that has storage up front. I would like to relocate the battery to the front as it currently interferes with placement of my removable gas tanks. What guage of wire do I need to run from the battery back to the motor for the electric start/charging? I believe it probably around 4awg right now (boat is in storage till next week so I can't recall).

Can someone reccommend an appropriate fuse block that will allow me to add all the items I listed in the opening paragraph?

Should I add a second battery? What is the correct way of adding a second battery?

Will the charging system on a motor of this vintage be able to hangle all these electronics?

I will repower the boat but probably not for another year or 2. The old blueband had a recent rebuild and refurb and I ran it all last summer so its staying for this season.

Im using this boat on Coast of the NW BC so radio and GPS is a must. I'm installing new seats and will be getting new canvas done up as well but I would like to get all the wiring in when I have the seats out.

Ive installed some pretty big car stereo system back in the day, but this will be my first marine application.

Advice, tips, and critical feedback are all welcome!

Attachments

• 1274769_10153167695305106_1437789603_o.jpg
    1274769_10153167695305106_1437789603_o.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Re: Upgrading electrical in vintage runabout to add modern electronics - Whats requir

Well maybe I'll summarize the above and try again... basically... does an 75 mercury 850 (85hp) in tip top shape put out enough to power chartplotter/fishfinder, stereo, lighting, etc??

Do I need a second battery?

Any input welcome, hauling the boat out to get started next week.