Need HELP! What Wiring Harness should I purchase in boat update?

Hi all and thank is advance for your help and guidance. I have a 29 ft 1980 Lakes Craft Pontoon boat with a 140 I/O motor and am in the process of redoing the flooring, seats and electrical. (over the years what wiring is left in tact in the helm is a bit of a hodge podge of splices and all kinds of fun. I am installing and ok on the process for installing a new fuse block switches and the associated lights and electronics. What I need help with is identifying what wiring harness I should obtain to connect the control throttle to the engine - as I am replacing the helm and moving to a new binnacle control box (BRP/OMC 5006186).

The existing wiring from the engine for the ignition does not utilze any plugs, again a series of questionable splices. The new control box has 2 plugs attached 1 is a Deutsch DT04-6P that appears to connect the wiring to the ignition and a Deutsch DT04-3P that looks to be for the tilt and trim. Seperate plug for the auidible warning on start has a Deutsch DT04-2P for connection to some check guage or audible horn driver (I have neither that I can find...)

I had a reccomendation to get the wiring harness OMC vintage part 981877 but the peson who suggested had no idea if it would connect to my control box plug, they also referenced a OMC vintage part 981448 for the tilt trim connection?

Any idea if the above would work or other suggestions ( or should I ty to get the correponding female plugs for the above Deutsch plugs mentioned and splice to existing wiring?)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need HELP! What Wiring Harness should I purchase in boat update?

Hi all and thank is advance for your help and guidance. I have a 29 ft 1980 Lakes Craft Pontoon boat with a 140 I/O motor and am in the process of redoing the flooring, seats and electrical. (over the years what wiring is left in tact in the helm is a bit of a hodge podge of splices and all kinds of fun. I am installing and ok on the process for installing a new fuse block switches and the associated lights and electronics. What I need help with is identifying what wiring harness I should obtain to connect the control throttle to the engine - as I am replacing the helm and moving to a new binnacle control box (BRP/OMC 5006186).

The existing wiring from the engine for the ignition does not utilze any plugs, again a series of questionable splices. The new control box has 2 plugs attached 1 is a Deutsch DT04-6P that appears to connect the wiring to the ignition and a Deutsch DT04-3P that looks to be for the tilt and trim. Seperate plug for the auidible warning on start has a Deutsch DT04-2P for connection to some check guage or audible horn driver (I have neither that I can find...)

I had a reccomendation to get the wiring harness OMC vintage part 981877 but the peson who suggested had no idea if it would connect to my control box plug, they also referenced a OMC vintage part 981448 for the tilt trim connection?

Any idea if the above would work or other suggestions ( or should I ty to get the correponding female plugs for the above Deutsch plugs mentioned and splice to existing wiring?)

Ayuh,.... So does that make it a 3.0l motor, 'n Stringer 400 drive,..??

If so, I'm thinkin' yer gonna have to build yer own harness,...

Last edited:

Ayuh,.... So does that make it a 3.0l motor, 'n Stringer 400 drive,..??

If so, I'm thinkin' yer gonna have to build yer own harness,...

You are correct - stringer outdrive.. (have had a few tell me I should passed on the boat due to stringer outdrive but too late now)

sigh... so build own harness, thought I may have to - I do not want to cut above the plugs on the new contrl box - do you know where I can get some female plugs (Deutsch DT04-6P, DT04-3P, and DT04-2p) with a foot or to wire pigtail to start the fun?

Being in the heart of Nasar (Charlotte Nc) I was able to get one of the auto shops to make the coresponding plugs with about two feet of wire out (for only $15) - just going to splice to the existing wiring at this point.

Should I also consider replacing the shift and throttle cables? any recomendations if so as to type/part #?

Bondo

Staff member

Being in the heart of Nasar (Charlotte Nc) I was able to get one of the auto shops to make the coresponding plugs with about two feet of wire out (for only $15) - just going to splice to the existing wiring at this point.

Should I also consider replacing the shift and throttle cables? any recomendations if so as to type/part #?

Ayuh,.... I'm glad ya got the wirin' sorted out,.....

Ask yer cable question in the OMC forum for a better shot at good answers,.... ;)