Non-techie try to install a new VHF radio...Surprise, surprise...Interesting glitch!

Morgueman

Seaman
OK...I admit it...My electrical skills are bordering on nil, but hey...I gave it a shot anyway; installing my brand new VHF radio (Standard Horizon GX1700).

A little background - A few months ago, I installed my fishfinder using dedicated red and black wires that run from one of the batteries directly to my fishfinder (with one fuse in the red/positive wire).

Today, I set out to install my new VHF radio. I thought..."Great - I'll just remove about a half-inch of the wire cover on each of the fishfinder wires, wrap the matching colored wires from my new VHF (Standard Horizon GX1700) onto the fishfinder wires, cover each of these "splices" up with electrical tape, and consider the job a "no brainer."

I was truly happy when the unit powered on, and seemed to function perfectly. Here's the problem though - Every time I power the unit down, it won't come on again....unless I pull the fuse that came pre-embedded within the red wire of the VHF radio, and reinsert it. Also, it's interesting that when I re-insert the fuse, the unit turns on without me pushing any buttons...I would think that I have to push the power button to start it up. (The fishfinder is functioning normally.)

So what gives? Anybody know?

Thank you,
Morgueman (Eric)

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Non-techie try to install a new VHF radio...Surprise, surprise...Interesting glit

... I installed my fish-finder using dedicated red and black wires that run from one of the batteries directly to my fish-finder (with one fuse in the red/positive wire).

What gauge wire did you use. The radio, especially when Transmitting, will draw more power than the sonar.
The sonar also draws minimal power with a spike during the actual pings.
It is time to install an actual fuse block near the helm fed with at least 10awg wires.
The radio and the sonar may not like each other.
Does the problem also happen if you remove the sonar?

Morgueman

Seaman
Re: Non-techie try to install a new VHF radio...Surprise, surprise...Interesting glit

What gauge wire did you use. The radio, especially when Transmitting, will draw more power than the sonar.
The sonar also draws minimal power with a spike during the actual pings.
It is time to install an actual fuse block near the helm fed with at least 10awg wires.
The radio and the sonar may not like each other.
Does the problem also happen if you remove the sonar?

For the wires that go directly from the battery to the fishfinder, I can't recall the guage (I'll check tomorrow and report back.). For the wires that go to the VHF radio (from the location where I spliced into the fishfinder wires), I just used the wires that came with the VHF radio, and this red wire has it's own fuse. There is another fuse in the red wire for the fishfinder, and this fuse is near the battery (before the point of splicing for the VHF radio wires.)

I haven't tried "removing the fishfinder," however, the same problem with the VHF occurs regardless of whether I have the fishfinder powered on or not.

If the guage of the wires was the issue, wouldn't I expect that the VHF radio wouldn't ever start-up?...but in fact, it does every time I reinsert remove/re-insert the fuse.

Thanks so much for your input...I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions (Again, I'll check the guage of the wires tomorrow.).

Eric

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

Though I agree with needing to install a fuse block, or bus bar, this sounds like a radio issue to me.

My vhf will return to it's previous state of either off or on when power is removed and reapplied.

To me it sounds like the radio isn't booting back up when you push the power button. I would pull the radio and connect it direct to the battery to see if the problem persists.

It could be a case of voltage drop from to small wire, also could be line noise from the fish finder causing havoc, but the fact it comes back on after power is totally removed is suspect.

Morgueman

Seaman

I "sort of" hate when this happens...So I go out to the boat after lunch, and the unit is on (I can't remember for sure if I left it on or not). Anyway, the unit is working perfectly!!!!! It really bugs me that I/we didn't actually determine the cause and therefore have no idea if it will happen again. The fact that it's working now...Does that give any clues as to the root cause.

Thanks,
Eric

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't doubt this is your problem -

"Today, I set out to install my new VHF radio. I thought..."Great - I'll just remove about a half-inch of the wire cover on each of the fishfinder wires, wrap the matching colored wires from my new VHF (Standard Horizon GX1700) onto the fishfinder wires, cover each of these "splices" up with electrical tape, and consider the job a "no brainer."

Did you solder the wires or just wrap the wires from the radio around the FF wires. Any crimp splices?

I'm surprised it worked at all. Get some crimp connectors and wire the radio in correctly. It is a safety device.

UncleWillie

Captain

I wouldn't doubt this is your problem -
Did you solder the wires or just wrap the wires from the radio around the FF wires. Any crimp splices?
I'm surprised it worked at all. Get some crimp connectors and wire the radio in correctly. It is a safety device.

+1

I'll just remove about a half-inch of the wire cover on each of the fishfinder wires, ... cover each of these "splices" up with Electrical Tape, and consider the job a "no brainer."

Electrical Tape has no business on a Boat's wiring or anything else electrical for that matter!
Use the proper connectors. Do it correctly, and you'll only do it once.

Morgueman

Seaman

+1

Electrical Tape has no business on a Boat's wiring or anything else electrical for that matter!
Use the proper connectors. Do it correctly, and you'll only do it once.

I re-did the wiring, and wired the VHF wires to an available circuit on the fuse block. No more splicing, no more electrical tape. All is working fine now. Thanks everyone!