Stereo kill switch wiring

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've installed a simple on/off switch so that I can kill power to the stereo and not drain the battery. The switch works as it should after I wired it but I thought I'd be able to wire so that the settings would be maintained when I switch it back on. Is this possible? I have a yellow wire coming from the boat wiring harness that's labeled battery (assuming this is constant 12v), a red wire and ground that I used for the switch. The radio also has the same wiring so I wired like to like and connected the red (from both boat harness and stereo harness) to the prong labeled power on the switch and the yellow (from boat and stereo harness) to the prong labeled accessory and ground to ground (just to make the switch light up). Works well although, thought I could do away with having to reset all of the settings each time I power up the stereo?? Is this possible and how would I rewire this? I can take a few pics if needed when I get to the boat either later tonight or tomorrow. Sorry I'm a bit retarded when it comes to wiring. Any help is much appreciated as always.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stereo kill switch wiring

It is possible. You can wire the yellow wire to be hot all the time but i wouldn't bother. Reason is that if you turn your battery switch off(you do have a master battery switch right?) you will kill all the presets anyway.

Some radios, as I have just learned from another thread, have presets that get stored in memory when the radio is depowered.

Where we boat, there is only one good radio station that we listen to anyway so its not a big issue. We usually hook up the ipod to our stereo.

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stereo kill switch wiring

Thanks for the reply Bruce... Nope don't have a master battery switch yet. It's on the list for sure just haven't gotten to it yet and wanted to make sure the stereo wasn't sucking the battery dry while its sitting for now...