Trolling motor won't work Batteries shot again?

travisb5470

Cadet
I have a minkota 70 lb thrust bow mount trolling motor. It's a 24 volt. I installed it brand new 5 years ago and it barely turns on speed setting of ten. Acting like it's the batteries that are dead . Batteries are only 2 seasons old. In there 3rd season they don't work. I have an on board charger that works it has all 3 green lights on it. I didn't remove them for winter at all so am I paying the price for not bringing them inside? The batteries are bass pro 185. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated the cost of the batteries is $300 not to mention what a new trolling motor would cost me? tips on troubleshooting?

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling motor won't work Batteries shot again?

I'd start with a simple voltage check of each battery. Depending on how they are wired, you may have to remove them which might not be a bad idea anyway.
You should read 12.6 volts from + to - on each battery.
If you remove them, give your terminals a good visual inspection for corrosion which can drastically reduce current flow. You can always take batteries that are out of the boat/vehicle to a reputable battery dealer and have them tested for free.
If you find the batteries test fine, post that info back here and we'll give you the next steps for troubleshooting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Either your batteries are not taking a charge OR the charger isn't working correctly OR you have a very corroded connection either in the boat itself OR the trolling motor. If you set the trolling motor on the max setting and it barely moves. It either isn't getting proper voltage/current or the trolling motor has problems internally. So check battery voltages first. And check them while the trolling motor is running too. Post your results for us to see...

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Also pull your trolling motor prop and make sure you don't have fishing line wrapped around the inside. While you have the prop off loosen one of the bolts that hold the TM together and see if any water comes out.