• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

How to read a fish finder display

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to read a fish finder display

Maybe I'm just too dense to understand....The signal return from the transducer to the F/F represents a more-or-less horizontal circular plane under the T/D, right? A cross-section of the cone-shaped area where the bottom (or whatever) intersects the T/D signal?The display is a representation of a vertical plane, surface to bottom. So, the question is:How does the F/F translate the horizontal plane to a vertical plane on the display? How does it "decide" which vertical cross-section of the T/D return to show? I mean, when I see structure or fish or bottom contours scrolling past on the display, how do I determine where they are in relation to the boat?I just couldn't find a website that explained it in language I could understand.Any insight would be appreciated.thanks,jtw
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Re: How to read a fish finder display

It is simple sonar. Try here for an answer to your question: http://www.sidefinding.com/site/html...ishfinders.htm

Comment

J TexasPretty easy really. You can not tell where the fish are in relation to the boat.All you can tell is what is in the cone of the transducer, what is directly under the transducer. That is displayed as the far right row of dots from top to bottom. That image then moves one pixes to the left and what is in cone angle of the boat now is displayed on the far right. The far right row of pixels from top to bottom is what is under transducer now. Every thing to the left of the right most row is history. The way you find out where the fish are is by moving the boat until you see marks above the bottom. Check this tutor and watch how the fish arch is made it might help. If you are trolling and the fish are staying in the same place then the arches you see in the middle of the screen are behind the boat. Those to the far left are way behind the boat. The one on the far right are under the transducer.Hope that helps some. http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/So...utorial_01.asp
      Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
      Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

Comment

Okay, I think I got it now - everything in the transducer cone area gets mashed into the first pixel column and everything else is history. I'm really not as stupid as I look .thanks guys, that was helpful,jtw
        It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

Working...
        X