Should a tester pop a breaker? What is the right sequence to test an A/C line?

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
Firstly thanks to everyone for all of the help on this forum...

I have wired the AC panel in my boat but when I touch the tester between the Black and green the GFI in my outside house outlet pops. Is that right? Am I shorting if I test black to Green?

What is the correct sequence to test this?

Here is how it is wired:

Both Shore Power green to GI
All Greens together

Shore 1 Black to 30A
Shore 1 White to 30A
Black 30A to individual switches then out to A/C appliances
White 30A to all Shore 1 whites together
All Shore 1 Greens together to GI

Shore 2 Black to 30A
Shore 2 White to 30A
Black 30A to switch then Air Conditioner
White 30A to Air Conditioner
All shore 2 Greens together to GI

Green to DC Boat Ground

AC System.jpg

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Should a tester pop a breaker? What is the right sequence to test an A/C line?

Disconnect all power and put the meter on ohms and test the two spots you're testing. Continuity says its a short, no continuity says its not. A very high ohm reading means you're reading through something.

The beauty of electricity: It doesn't do anything unpredictably.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should a tester pop a breaker? What is the right sequence to test an A/C line?

So...what is a "tester" ?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What's your "tester"? If it's a neon light or a digital meter it should not trip your GFI. If your using a solenoid tester, sometimes called a "wiggy" it will trip the GFI because it draws enough current. It only takes 5 mA to trip a GFCI outlet.

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Solenoid tester.

I guess I assumed there would be no reading between black and green. Then again by touching the meter to black and green I am completing that circuit correct? And creating the short?

NYBo

Admiral

If everything is wired properly at the source, yes, you are shorting hot (black) to ground (green).