Hot Tub on Houseboat - 220v breaker question - Sumerset Houseboat

Captn

Recruit
I've got a large 98 Sumerset Houseboat.
It has a hot tub - now it's not working. The boat has a very large main "Sumerset" electrical panel in the hallway and there is a single breaker marked "Hot Tub" and it doesn't feel as it should when switching on and off.
I've opened the control box at the Hot tub and there are 2 x110v giving 220v for the heater pump etc. One side is live and one is dead. I checked the lines back to where they enter the panel and one side is definitely dead.
It looks like a single pole breaker only - is that correct, I would have expected a big double but there are none of these on the panel - not even for the stove! When I operate the switch it kills/energizes the side that appears to working and has no effect on the other 110 circuit. Is this a double pole with a single lever or should I be looking for another bust breaker?
I've looked on line and I can see any single lever breakers that can switch 2 x 110 vac - would need to have 4 terminals.
The 220v is OK into the boat as all the other 220 volts appliances and HVAC are just fine.
I'm hoping that someone out there is familiar with the big panel I'm talking about. The breaker marked "Hot Tub" is in the bottom section of the panel in center vertical column about 3rd of 4th breaker from the bottom.
I've attached a picture of the panel.......
Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Sumerset_Panel.jpg
    Sumerset_Panel.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Hot Tub on Houseboat - 220v breaker question - Sumerset Houseboat

I've got a large 98 Sumerset Houseboat.
It has a hot tub - now it's not working. The boat has a very large main "Sumerset" electrical panel in the hallway and there is a single breaker marked "Hot Tub" and it doesn't feel as it should when switching on and off.
I've opened the control box at the Hot tub and there are 2 x110v giving 220v for the heater pump etc. One side is live and one is dead. I checked the lines back to where they enter the panel and one side is definitely dead.
It looks like a single pole breaker only - is that correct, I would have expected a big double but there are none of these on the panel - not even for the stove! When I operate the switch it kills/energizes the side that appears to working and has no effect on the other 110 circuit. Is this a double pole with a single lever or should I be looking for another bust breaker?
I've looked on line and I can see any single lever breakers that can switch 2 x 110 vac - would need to have 4 terminals.
The 220v is OK into the boat as all the other 220 volts appliances and HVAC are just fine.
I'm hoping that someone out there is familiar with the big panel I'm talking about. The breaker marked "Hot Tub" is in the bottom section of the panel in center vertical column about 3rd of 4th breaker from the bottom.
I've attached a picture of the panel.......
Any help is much appreciated!

:welcome: to iboats

I would guess one side of your 220V breaker has gone out, it's not uncommon. Suggest opening the panel and look at the back, you should find a double throw breaker behind the single switch lever

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There should NOT be 2 separate breakers feeding a 240v circuit. I would say you have a double pole with one handle. It sounds like it needs to be replaced.

UncleWillie

Captain

... it doesn't feel as it should when switching on and off. ...
Just to cover all the obvious bases.
Once a breaker trips to the middle position, you will need to turn it to the full OFF position before returning it to the ON position. ??
Having said that... 220 breakers are paired together such that, if one side overloads, it will cause power to be removed from both sides.
That is why paired breakers have a bar tying the handles together.
Note that your 220 breakers are space twice as far apart as the 110 breakers. They are single handle doubles.
There should never be a situation where one phase of the 220 (110) is present without the other.

It could be a faulty breaker or a bad connection on the back of the breaker causing you to lose one side.
Time to open it up.