Wiring a 30Amp A/C Breaker...Help

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have a diagram that I can follow to wire a 30 Amp Main Breaker on my AC/DC Distribution panel?
I am only using the top 30Amp at this time. I am going to either use or replace the 50AMP in the future to supply the A/C with an inverter from the DC side.

Picture below

Breakers.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Wiring a 30Amp A/C Breaker...Help

Does anyone have a diagram that I can follow to wire a 30 Amp Main Breaker on my AC/DC Distribution panel?
I am only using the top 30Amp at this time. I am going to either use or replace the 50AMP in the future to supply the A/C with an inverter from the DC side.

Picture below

View attachment 227682

The double breakers are setup to switch between shore power and generator. Your shore power should never connect to the Generator. This is why there is a bar in place to disconnect one before the other can be turned on. Look at the schematic in the below link and if you don't understand please advise

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...89d1341842092-ac-wiring-120709163021_0001.pdf

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

I "Think" I get it. So right now all of the greens are together (both shore power lines) All whites combined on Shore 1, Main White and Air conditioner white together on Shore 2.

For now I am probably going to remove the 50A and the bar on both shore 1 and 2. They will not be used. There is no generator in the boat. I was thinking of the the 30 amp as a switch to turn on the A/C to that part of the panel. Can I do that? I don't get what the 65'-VAC is. If I can use this as a switch would I use 4 of the terminals or all 6? Can you tell me what the wire colors would be at each terminal?
Breakers1.jpg

The attached schematic is how I have the reverse polarity light hooked up. Now I need to understand the 30A breaker.

Polarity Scematic.jpg

Everything else great...this breaker and panel...confusing.

alldodge

Staff member

Give me a pic of the front side of your panel

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Here is both the front and back. I have removed the slide bars just because I am not using the generator 50A.

back panel.jpg

front panel.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

With having dual 30Amp shore power connections, this complicates it a bit. I'm not for sure but I think the 65VAC is the older style GFCI or where inverter power comes in. Without knowing how it was wired originally I'm doing some guessing. There are issues with running all the commons and grounds together from both hot lines coming in. Each ground coming in needs to have a galvanic isolator in line. Commons should be isolated until breakers connect them.

You can disregard the gen circuit since your not using one, also inverter if not using

View attachment Dual Shore power wiring.pdf

I would recommend that after you get done with this project, you pay a professional to look it over before use.

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks!!!

I think You just gave me the missing part. The white has to be broken in that main and not just the black. So my whites have to be on the other side of the main. see below...
View attachment 227834

Shore 2 should be separate
I did also find a GI that states on galvanic Isolator for 2 30A shore feeds

Yandina Galvanic Isolator
50 Amps AC Continuous Rating, 30 Amps DC
Designed for use on any Shore Power Connection up to 50 Amps
Only (1) is Required for Dual 30 Amp Connections

I'm going to look at the same panel in a friends boat tomororow just to verify but I think you showed me the issue.