Pain$ with Humminbird 1199 & I-Pilot Link & 360 Imaging

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've had a MK V2 Powerdrive with I-Pilot Link for about 9 months. I made a major purchase last week and purchased a Humminbird 1199 and 360 Imaging. I read my owners manual for the I-Pilot Link prior to ordering and did due diligence on line prior to ordering. During installation of the 1199 I realized that I couldn't hook up the I-Pilot Link since the Ethernet plug on the I-Pilot Link was round and the Ethernet port on the 1199 is hour glass shaped (unlike the 1198). The I-Pilot Link manual shows the 1100 series having a round, screw in plug similar to cable TV. I called Humminbird and was informed that I need a converter ($29.95) to hook up the I-Pilot Link and if I want to install the 360 Imaging I'll need to invest an additional $269.95 to purchase a Ethernet switching device. My posting is to inform others who might be considering adding the 360 Imaging or I-Pilot Link of these "hidden" costs. Also, I would like to ask if anyone has experience of using an alternative Ethernet switching device that takes a round coax cable. The cost of the Humminbird products was hard enough to swallow but an addition insult that I will have to shell out another $300 just to hook up their products. The c.s. rep at Humminbird said I should have done my homework better. Please feel free to cheat off my homework.

Don

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pain$ with Humminbird 1199 & I-Pilot Link & 360 Imaging

I've had a MK V2 Powerdrive with I-Pilot Link for about 9 months. I made a major purchase last week and purchased a Humminbird 1199 and 360 Imaging. I read my owners manual for the I-Pilot Link prior to ordering and did due diligence on line prior to ordering. During installation of the 1199 I realized that I couldn't hook up the I-Pilot Link since the Ethernet plug on the I-Pilot Link was round and the Ethernet port on the 1199 is hour glass shaped (unlike the 1198). The I-Pilot Link manual shows the 1100 series having a round, screw in plug similar to cable TV. I called Humminbird and was informed that I need a converter ($29.95) to hook up the I-Pilot Link and if I want to install the 360 Imaging I'll need to invest an additional $269.95 to purchase a Ethernet switching device. My posting is to inform others who might be considering adding the 360 Imaging or I-Pilot Link of these "hidden" costs. Also, I would like to ask if anyone has experience of using an alternative Ethernet switching device that takes a round coax cable. The cost of the Humminbird products was hard enough to swallow but an addition insult that I will have to shell out another $300 just to hook up their products. The c.s. rep at Humminbird said I should have done my homework better. Please feel free to cheat off my homework.

Don

And the homework would include calling HB. Sounds like they had the answers. Not beatin' on ya, VB, but for the money involved and the newness of the 360, well you know. Sorry I can't help with the alternate switch, but you might have to bite the bullet. All these new things are loaded with complications.