batteries dying

crappieraider

Recruit
I have two deep cycle batteries, one for TM and other for cranking. If fully charged and left connected they will both discharge completely within a couple of days. The cranking motor battery has been replaced twice as it was completely dead and would not accept any charge at all. I currently remove the terminals on the cranking motor after I leave the water but prefer not to have to do this. There have been no changes other than replacing those cranking batteries and new trolling motor. This was happening before the trolling motor was swapped. I also removed the wires for instruments (leaving cranking battery attached) and experienced the same problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

94 Tracker/Tournament TX17

Last edited:

wkuadam07

Cadet
Re: batteries dying

Do you have a charger on board? Most chargers, even nice bank chargers will do this. They drain the battery when connected to the battery but no hooked to AC power and turned on.
I have also seen bad bilge pumps do this. Best way to find the culprit is with a multi meter. Unhook everything, check voltage, hook things up or re-install fuses one at a time, when the voltage drops then you have found the battery drain.

Last edited: