Perko Switch and Amp Rack

sully8889

Recruit
I am fairly new to this site but not new to stereo systems and everything that go along with them. With that said here is what I am running, (1)Kicker ZX750.1, (1)Kicker ZX350.4, and (1)Kicker DX200.4 amplifiers. All three are mounted on an amp rack and all run off distribution blocks with 8 and 4 gauge running to the correct amps and 1/0 gauge wire running to the batteries. The old setup had one amp split between two batteries and batteries wired in parallel. It does have a perko switch between both the batteries also. My question is, where do I hook the 1/0 gauge wire to? I see on here that there are a lot of mixed opinions whether to run the amps off the COM side of the perko switch or battery two. What is everyone's opinion on that? Can you also explain the pros and cons of doing it either way? Thank you!

Last edited:

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Perko Switch and Amp Rack

I run mine off of Batt 2. Wired directly with an inline fuse using tinned 4/0 on both positive and negative. This way I have limited interference with other electronics and my amp won't drain Batt 1 (in case I accidentally switch to the wrong batt on my perko) when I need it. The AMP has a switched lead that I run to my head unit that turns it on and off. I have had no issues (knock on teak!)

For obvious reasons wiring to the Perko would allow you to completely disable the system

sully8889

Recruit

Ok. Thank you for the reply! Do you have any problems with the battery that you have your amps on going dead with long days out on the water or do you have your perko switch to both or all and letting the alternator recharge both batteries?

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't. (knock on teak) I have 2 group 29's.

We have been on the river for 3-4 hours without an issue. Keep in mind, I don't "blare" my music so all the world can hear it. I have the AMP to drive a 10" JL sub and my two JL 7.7" coaxials for sound quality as well as to listen to it while underway.

I fire up the motor on one when it's time to head back. Once started I switch to two. I also installed a battery maintainer/charger for both banks but I haven't used it yet.

Last edited: