recieved my rule float switch

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
the float switch I had was a rule and it was a 14 amp. the one that came in is a rule also at 20 amp max , this will be hooked up the same way to one 12 volt battery. will max amps won't pose a problem ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: recieved my rule float switch

the float switch I had was a rule and it was a 14 amp. the one that came in is a rule also at 20 amp max , this will be hooked up the same way to one 12 volt battery. will max amps won't pose a problem ?

Nope,... Not unless ya got a Monster of a pump, that pulls over 20 amps,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

WOW a 20 amp water pump would transfer some serious water... :facepalm: The max amperage label is there to tell you that you could use this float switch with any type pump that is drawing a max of 20 amps or less. Not that it will draw that much, but that it could handle that much!

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

no i just bought a float switch cuz the old one wouldn't shut off unless i flipped the float a few times.....the pump is fine . the old one was a 14 amp but this new one says it's good for a 12,24and 36 volt system .

alldodge

Staff member

no i just bought a float switch cuz the old one wouldn't shut off unless i flipped the float a few times.....the pump is fine . the old one was a 14 amp but this new one says it's good for a 12,24and 36 volt system .

You will be Okey Dokey

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

but this new one says it's good for a 12,24and 36 volt system .

Don't believe that means 20 amps, your old one was probably rated the same voltage, also ...

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

started to install the float switch but ran out of time.......I noticed the two wires coming out of the switch has no pos. or neg. assuming
any wire will work for hot. also had to change out the inline glass fuse(very corroded) to the flat blade inline. should I start with a 15 amp fuse?

Bondo

Staff member

started to install the float switch but ran out of time.......I noticed the two wires coming out of the switch has no pos. or neg. assuming
any wire will work for hot. also had to change out the inline glass fuse(very corroded) to the flat blade inline. should I start with a 15 amp fuse?

Ayuh,.... It's just a pass-thru switch, positive in, 'n positive out to the pump,...

Use whatever fuse that'll support the draw of the pump,...

UncleWillie

Captain

The switch has no Polarity, use either wire as HOT.

The pump, switch and wire all have current ratings, The wire is usually the weakest link in the chain.
The fuse is determined by the size of the wire.
What Make/Model of Pump are you wiring? It has a recommended fuse size.
A 10 or 15 amp fuse should be fine in most cases.
Grease up the Fuse Socket to inhibit corrosion in the future.

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class

just got done wiring the float switch yesterday and it works . couldn't fit all the wires it the conduit so had to bunch then up and zip tie them together..... I believe I have a rule 500 GPM. I started with a 5 amp to see it it would break but nothing so I decided with a 15.
roger on the dielectric grease..

Last edited: