Switch panel questions.advice

nevadany

Seaman
Hi,
i have a pontoon build planned for late spring/early summer. In the mean time I am gathering the bit's & pieces I am going to need.

Really the only thing I am hung up on is selecting a switch panel. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices (unless another one or two get presented from you guys).

The criteria is 3 or 4 gang with at least one power outlet.

these are the 2 I like but each has it's faults

1. West Marine, 11861556
http://www.***************/west-marine--dc-electrical-panels--P011861556

This one will fit the space almost perfectly...the only issue I have with this panel, is that I can't find any information on the type of switches it uses...I am guessing its common with some brand so I can replace/install different types of switches. Is anyone familiar with this panel..pros/cons?

2. Seadog Line, SDG-425144
http://www.**************/seadog-sw...g-425144.htm?gclid=CMea-Ifnmr0CFU4aOgodvhwACA

This one will just barely fits the space to the point that I have doubts it actually look OK with the face overlap. I really like the features on this panel...it's pretty much exactly what I am looking for except for the size...I suppose I could mount it horizontally.

Anyway, If anyone has experience with either of these, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
DW

p.s. for reference, this is the console I am using. the vertical space on the sides is 7.5"x5.0"...not that I am constrained by the width
Deluxe Pontoon Helm CN201 Plastic Console

Last edited:

nevadany

Seaman
Re: Switch panel questions.advice

for some reason my panel links arent working...I added part numbers if anyone cares to google them

DW

Thalasso

Commander

You could always buy the circuit panel that looks and fits well and then add a
RV-boat-12-volt-accessory-socket-and-cap-power-outlet on E-Bay for $5.00

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I like the Seadog one better for two reasons...it uses standard Contura style switches and it has fuses on the panel.

I like this one
Contura Water Resistant 12V DC Panel - 4 Position - Blue Sea Systems
in fact I just bought the 3 switch version for my pontoon. It does not have the power outlet though but that can easily be installed separately.

I like where my outlet is located on my dash. I wouldn't even want it near my switches.

This one is interesting. One of them is a dual USB charger.
http://www.bluesea.com/products/1478/360_Panel_-_12V_DC_Socket_and_Dual_USB_Charger

Edit: I just noticed the West Marine one are actually circuit breaker switches. They are also not likely waterproof so that panel probably shouldn't be used on your helm.

Last edited:

nevadany

Seaman

You could always buy the circuit panel that looks and fits well and then add a
RV-boat-12-volt-accessory-socket-and-cap-power-outlet on E-Bay for $5.00

You are correct and I've done that before. I just wanted to explore more of an "all-in-one" panel first.

nevadany

Seaman

I like the Seadog one better for two reasons...it uses standard Contura style switches and it has fuses on the panel.

I like this one
Contura Water Resistant 12V DC Panel - 4 Position - Blue Sea Systems
in fact I just bought the 3 switch version for my pontoon. It does not have the power outlet though but that can easily be installed separately.

I like where my outlet is located on my dash. I wouldn't even want it near my switches.

This one is interesting. One of them is a dual USB charger.
360 Panel - 12V DC Socket and Dual USB Charger - Blue Sea Systems

Edit: I just noticed the West Marine one are actually circuit breaker switches. They are also not likely waterproof so that panel probably shouldn't be used on your helm.

I'll have to double check the west marine panel.......

I like blue sea panels but they are EXPENSIVE. I have an 8 gang panel on another boat and it was almost $200. very nice though!

DW