Getting LED strips to stick

agallant80

Commander
Any advice on how to get a 5050 strip of LED lights to stick? I put some in the engine bay because there is no light in there and the whols strip fell down.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Getting LED strips to stick

Any advice on how to get a 5050 strip of LED lights to stick? I put some in the engine bay because there is no light in there and the whols strip fell down.
What did you attach them to?

agallant80

Commander

The fiberglass rim around the hatch. It was cold out when I did it. I may run a bead of calking and set the lights in to that now that I think of it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The fiberglass rim around the hatch. It was cold out when I did it. I may run a bead of calking and set the lights in to that now that I think of it.
I always attach them to aluminum and mount the aluminum to the fiberglass. Some mount it to plastic though.

There is a primer/promoter that is available to make the adhesive stick better, I just used it for the first time Saturday. We have been discussing it near the end of this thread
http://forums.iboats.com/electrical.../led-strip-lighting-ins-outs-info-544182.html

UncleWillie

Captain

The fiberglass rim around the hatch. It was cold out when I did it. I may run a bead of caulking and set the lights in to that now that I think of it.

Sticky Tape should work fine provided you clean the surface before hand.
New fiberglass will still have the mold release compound on it that prevented it from sticking to the manufacturing mold. Otherwise, all the invisible dirt, salt, oil, rubber belt dust, etc., needs to be removed before anything, including caulk, will stick reliably.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sticky Tape should work fine provided you clean the surface before hand.
That is a definite must. Even on aluminum, I clean it with acetone before I try to stick anything to it.

agallant80

Commander

I just hate to have to toss a set of LED lights because I did not clean the dust off.

Splat

Lieutenant

Go to your local auto parts store and get a roll of double sided bidy trim and molding tape. Costs about $4 and 3m makes a width the same size as the led strip lights. That stuff will stick to anything.

Bill

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I use the self stick strips except I also put on 3M 4200. I put dabs of 4200 along the strip allowing some of the strip adhesive to remain exposed. The strip adhesive holds the strip in place until the 4200 sets. Be sure to clean the surface you apply it to with a cleaner that is compatible with the 3M product (I don't think that alcohol is recommended). Acetone or MEK should work, but check the label first.

greenbm

Seaman

I just finished installing some led strips and I found out that I absolutely needed to use the adhesion promoter that came with my kit. I ran out and tried to finish the last few strips without the promoter. Couldn't get them to stick at all. Here is a link to the stuff I bought. Not the same as what came with the kit but worked just as well and I found that the pen type applicator was easier to apply.

3M Primer 94 Pen 3-Pack | Car Wrapping Application Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

What I did first was wipe surface clean with rubbing alcohol let dry a few seconds and applied the promoter then the led strip. Afterwards, I read the instructions (why bother reading first, right?) and found that they said to let the promoter dry a few minutes before mounting the tape. Not waiting didn't seem to bother the adhesion at all. Good luck.