Furuno GP 1650 chartplotter/fishfinder?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Anyone out there using one of these Furuno 1650 chartplotter/fishfinder combo units? <br /><br />I originally wanted to run seperate depth and gps units, but I'm seriously looking into a combo unit for my 21' project boat because I now realize how limited my dash space will be with everything like the radios and gauge pannel being flush mounted in the dash... The Furuno looks like the only one that will fit where I would like to mount it...<br /><br />My main concern is depth readings but I also want to be able to quickly save a spot on the gps when I'm runing along so I can come back and check the spot out later.. <br /><br />Basicly my question is, how easy is it to use under actual use, not just playing with it in the store but out in the real world???<br /><br />Thanks...<br />P.S. Thanks to Iboats for the new electronics and trolling motor forum! :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Furuno GP 1650 chartplotter/fishfinder?

Howdy, SB.<br /><br />I don't have any experience with the Furuno 1650, but I know it is very popular with SE FL boaters.<br /><br />It must be a good unit.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

DIRTPOORE96

Seaman

HI SNAPPERBAIT, I HAVE THIS FURUNO UNIT YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. A 1650DF, I PURCHASED 2 YEARS AGO. I THINK ITS GREAT, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL. IT IS FAIRLY EASY TO OPERATE, ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH IT. THERE IS AN M.O.B. BUTTON ON THE UNIT THAT YOU CAN HIT ANY TIME AND MARK A SPOT & GO RIGHT BACK TO IT. I USE MINE FOR CHART PLOTTING TO THE MID-ATLANTIC CANYONS & FISH FINDING WHEN I GET THERE. IT IS VERY ACCURATE & IT WILL ALSO COMMUNICATE WITH A FURUNO RADAR IF YOU HAVE ONE. AS YOU CAN TELL I REALLY LIKE IT. GETS ME THERE & BACK EVERY TIME.

kshatzer

Seaman Apprentice

I wanted to put it on my new boat, but dealer couldn't find one- some question if backordered or discontinued. Had to settle for a Lowrance LCX19C. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

nu_2_boating

Cadet

I have a Lowrance LMS-350a and Globalmap 2000. The 350 has a damaged screened, the 2000 can't find a signal and Lowrance can't fix it. They'll swap the 350 for a lmxt19 or another but are quoting me the same price as Boatersworld.com.<br /><br />Instead of trying to patch this stuff back together I think I'll be looking at a new Furuno combo fishfinder/gps.<br /><br />I'm on the site now trying to see what's available around $2K.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have not used one on the water but spent some time at the demo at boat shows. Only two thing I did not like.<br />1. Their color LCD the colors were not as bright as Lowrance, but Better than Garmin.<br />2 When depth finder changes ranges it jumps to a new range and history will be way up or down. My current unit also does this and it makes it hard follow what your have gone over. It not bad unless you are fishing at a depth right on the edge of where it changes ranges and it keeps switching ranges. Lowrance does a better job when it changes ranges. Lowrance kinda keeps the bottom signal at same point and moves history up and down so always have a solid bottom line with no big jumps.<br /><br />Furuno depth finders one of the best and about 80 percent of the Saltwater Party boats use them out here. They have great power and good tranducers.<br /><br />I have a old Loran C by Furuno and I still love it. I like the ease of adding waypoints, updating waypoints, and building routes better than anything I have found yet. That why I have not pick a fixed GPS unit yet. I have a Garmin handheld GPSMAP 76 and you can add waypoints easy but to update a waypoint only real way is to delete old and Save new. That means you have to go back and enter the icon and name ect. On my Furuno you just put the waypoint in and when want to update hit enter, icon and name stay the same.<br /><br />Let us know what you pick and why.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Scope'd it all out and re-thought my dash set up.. I went with a Furuno 6100 depth finder (not color) and a Furuno GP 31 gps...<br /><br />So far, so good... :D The depth finder, even though it is not a color machine; works very well and is almost as easy to read as color machine for reading bottom content... Thru hull transducer...<br /><br />The GP 31 also works good.. It's fairly simple, even for the "electronicly challanged" like me... :) It has no map, no c-map or navonics cartrage chip crap, just numbers which, in my opinion, is all you need in the open ocean (along with a compass)... Put in the numbers, steer the compass heading, bingo!.. Puts me right on my spots which is more than I can say for that Icom piece of crap gps on my little boat....<br /><br />p.s.... got em' both from iboats for a heck of alot less $$$ than anywhere else.... :D

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Great choice. I do not know the 6100but I am sure it is a good unit. I have a Loran LC90 and love it. Wife wants a Chart ploter style as she likes to see where she it. The GP 31 very close to the LC90 Loran which won awards for years. I might have went with the GP32 which is same unit with WAAS. I not sure of your location but unless your so far north that WAAS is hard to receive it might be worth the difference. Either way Furuno makes great units and very relibable.<br /><br />Enjoy

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

DUHHH! I'm an idiot! :D It is the GP32 that I have, not the 31... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Get it together Snapper! :p