VHF Marine Radio radio check

ejbpesca

Cadet
If you were visiting a port for the first time, launched your boat and need a test to make sure your VHF is working, what channel would you use to call for a radio check? Manual says do not use 16.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: VHF Marine Radio radio check

Here in San Diego the marine towing service provides an automated radio check. You broadcast on Ch. 27 and get a rebound of your broadcast that indicates you are transmitting. That service is apparently available in other areas - maybe check on-line in your area?

alldodge

Staff member

When your launching find another boater at the ramp or dock and ask them if they would check on another channel. Maybe at the marina

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We boat on the Niagara River and Lakes Erie and Ontario. Regardless of law, the custom in the old days was to call on Ch 16, get a check in 3 words or less and then stop talking. No one ever complained.

Truth is though that I can't remember hearing a radio check at all anywhere is years. Or any chat for that matter. You might see a VHF antenna on an older boat, but very few of the newer models have them anymore.

The last time i heard a distress call the USCG did reply, but told the caller to summon a passing boat becaue they wouldn't come. Probably a good reason why nobody uses VHF any more. SeaTow is the one - and they carry cellphones.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm curious, has it ever not worked?

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

channel 68 is the boaters channel,you should always get a radio check on that channel.i keep my radio tuned to it all the time.

royston22

Cadet

In Canada, we use one of the Coast Guard's working channels (83, if I recall correctly) to get a radio check. I expect the USCG would have a similar arrangement.

ejbpesca

Cadet

It is new. I don't know if it works or not yet.

ejbpesca

Cadet

I understand the obsolescence of VHF with SeaTow now available via cell, but being from primitive times I am prompted to have a VHF along with a cell. VHF can be of huge service, boat to boat and for calling SeaTow with sketchy cell connections.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm curious, has it ever not worked?

Yes, I have had times during the week when there was little boat traffic, none on the radio and no one answered me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I understand the obsolescence of VHF with SeaTow now available via cell, but being from primitive times I am prompted to have a VHF along with a cell. VHF can be of huge service, boat to boat and for calling SeaTow with sketchy cell connections.

It all depends on where you are. For a cell all you need is a signal. For VHF, since its line of sight you need a boat within range. The VHF range could be as short as 5 miles.

In my river, which winds and has trees along the shore I barely get a 5 mile range. So, on a day with no boats no one can hear me. If I'm out 8-10 miles in the lake, the USCG can pick up the VHF (or other boats if they are there).

The cell works everywhere in the river, and also out 10 miles in the lake. Beyond 10 miles I don't know because i never tried it, but for sure the VHF is dead.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is this a new hand held radio or a fixed mount unit with external antenna? If it's a fixed unit I would start with using a watt meter/ SWR meter to verify the antenna is tuned properly, the cable is good, and the transmitter is putting out power. A verbal response from an other boater in the next slip won't tell you any of those things.

ejbpesca

Cadet

This is a new hand held. I live on a port city so there is continual traffic on this radio that is crucial to shipping and our very active Coast Guard function. I am trying to find a way to slip in a radio check into the mix and it has been decades since I used VHF. I have no boats at the next slip to call, I am alone on the bay so maybe a friendly shrimper will call back. I thought there may be a procedure these days. I will attempt to use our local Seatow for an auto check.