Depthfinder/chartplotter combos

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
My new used fishing boat came with an old Humminbird that is outdated and not working very well so I've been looking for a new replacement.

The 1st one on the list is the Lowrance Elite5 HDI. I've heard very good things about this unit and am seriously concidering buying one. Now also I have never used a chartplotter before and have no ideas as to where to begin with one. Is it worth the added expense or really needed when most of the waters I fish are less than 1000 acres, less than 40' deep and most of the fishing I do is by sight. How would you judge what is really needed in a unit? Would really like to try the down imaging.

Anyone know what Humminbirds equivalent unit is?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Depthfinder/chartplotter combos

I have the Elite 7 its a good plotter, I think the 5 is just a smaller screen. As for the actual plotter function it depends. Its nice being able to save points. For example the lake I go to has a river inlet to it. It all looks the same. I just found the inlet marked it on the plotter and now it shows up so I always know where it is if I want to go there. You can use the same feature for good fishing holes or what not. In terms of plotting I have never plotted a course on it. I just look at the map and where I am and where I want to go. There are all kinds of cool features. One that I like is the course line. It will extend a line out from where you are so you can see where you are heading. Good for traveling open bodies of water. I used that feature when I boated up the Chesapeake bay.

With that said its not a replacement for navigation markers. I have found that the markers on the map and the markers in the real world can be off. Also the maps will have depth which is always changing on the NC coast.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a Lowrance Mark 4 GPS combo. Elite 5 is a step up and more with HDI. One nice thing about having GPS is that you can go to any lake and find you way back to the dock by following the track back to the starting dock/ramp. It really helps on seldom visited lakes if you decide to expand your fishing area.

One way to save hard earned bucks is to get a black and white version and not a color unit. Color adds a good chunk to the price.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well this will be my 1st with a GPS unit and I really wonder just how much I'll use that function. As for chartplotting I suppose it would come in handy for trolling which I also do not do much of. I can see using it to mark points.

GA_Boater

Well this will be my 1st with a GPS unit and I really wonder just how much I'll use that function. As for chartplotting I suppose it would come in handy for trolling which I also do not do much of. I can see using it to mark points.

Marking points/"secret" holes is one of the features. Marking is using the GPS location to store the mark. So if you do that you will be using GPS more than you think. Maybe not the map as such, but marking and GPS work together.

agallant80

Commander

Its one of those things that once you have it there is no going back. As someone else stated the track feature is great. Always can find your way back to the dock even at night when its pitch black outside.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

An Elite5 HDI was just recieved as a birthday present. Now I have something new to learn how to use. Now if only we'd get some decent weather.

GA_Boater

Hope you got ice ice fishing model. :eek: Enjoy learning how to use it by draggin' fish to the boat. :joyous:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Or get on some big water and see if I can find my way home w/o the bread crumbs. May also take a bit to get used to the color screen.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

An Elite5 HDI was just recieved as a birthday present. Now I have something new to learn how to use. Now if only we'd get some decent weather.

Congrats! It's a nice unit. Like agallant80, I have the Elite 7. One thing that stinks about the Elite's is the Users Manual is pretty bland and doesn't get into much detail.

Seing as you have the Elite series, you may want to look at this if you fish and are constantly on the same lake. It's Insight Genesis. I may go this route this season.

Here's a vid;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJWDsxUYMA

Also, the breadcrumbs can be a lifesaver. I've traveled on the Mississippi after dark and it keeps me between the buoy's.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I was looking through the manual yesterday and I have to agree that it sure doesn't go into much detail on how to use it. Also went to their website and was able to watch a few videos there but again pretty plain and more of an advertisement than any kind of tutorial.

Most of my fishing is done on lakes that are 1000 acres of less and it's pretty hard to get lost on those. The wife this winter suggested a trip to the Big River and was kind of intimidated as to getting lost. This would certainly help.

Also started looking at other cards for it and like others I've read there are certainly wide reviews of all of them. So how does one pick one w/o spending the money only to find it wasn't worth it?

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Uhhh...good question.....

I purchased Lake Insight for $100 IIRC. It has worked really well for me on Superior marking shoals etc and the Mississippi marking buoy's that aren't dragged by barges, wing dams and mile markers. The depths have been fairly accurate as well.

GA_Boater

Fish eat the breadcrumbs so after you catch the last one, you're lost. :D Lowrance manuals aren't the best.

Cards are also problematic, especially the way the regions are split up. Buying multiple cards gets real expensive in a hurry. I did find this on the WWW that allows you zoom to a lake and see what detail Navionics has. WebApp | Navionics

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Fish eat the breadcrumbs so after you catch the last one, you're lost. :D Lowrance manuals aren't the best.

Cards are also problematic, especially the way the regions are split up. Buying multiple cards gets real expensive in a hurry. I did find this on the WWW that allows you zoom to a lake and see what detail Navionics has. WebApp | Navionics

#1 Navionics on smart phone :rolleyes: smart!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Folks this is all new to me so surely I'll accept any tips, pointers, reviews, do's and don'ts.
A big step up from the old plain Humminbird I've been using.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I know that... I've got a Hummingbird 581 HDci.. does sees fish, charts/GPS.. . loaded Navionics on smart phone too.......

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I know that... I've got a Hummingbird 581 HDci.. does sees fish, charts/GPS.. . loaded Navionics on smart phone too.......

Does me no good as I don't have/carry a smart phone.