My opinion on marine VHF radios in boats

waterinthefuel

Commander
There has been a lot of discussion lately about VHF marine radios in boats, and how with the invention of cell phones, they have been rendered obsolete especially in inland waterways.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with this. There are many cases where cell phones are rendered inop out on the water.

1. User has phone in pocket (as most people do) and user falls into the water. Cell phone rendered inop instantly. This is really bad if you climb back into the boat and are suffering severe hypothermia.
2. User has phone on floor of boat and it either slides into a puddle of water in the bottom of the boat or a wave is taken over the side during heavy seas rendering the phone useless.
3. Battery on phone goes dead.
4. Cell phone service area is weak out on the water.
5. Cell phone never makes it into the boat and is left in the truck at the launch. This has happened to me many times.
6. Cell phone is dropped overboard while leaning over to lift a fish or get a lure unhung.

For these reasons, and many others, I think VHF radios should be standard equipment on all boats greater than 14 feet in length with a place to put one like a bay boat or bass boat with a console. These radios have ranges greater than 20 miles, far longer than a cell phone would ever hope to reach. The also can receive NOAA weather radio with up to the minute updates on pending weather conditions. With the new DSC feature, one radio can directly call another. It's almost like a cell phone now.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: My opinion on marine VHF radios in boats

Agree so long as your talking costal areas. There also very good for inland lakes but many (self included) don't keep the radio on, and most all don't use CH16 to hail.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Agree so long as your talking costal areas. There also very good for inland lakes but many (self included) don't keep the radio on, and most all don't use CH16 to hail.

Well, it's up to the FCC to enforce the rules. But I don't mean just coastal areas. There are some HUGE inland lakes in this country where you can be miles from shore in any direction. That's like an ocean. The USCG monitors channel 16. And more people than you know have a base station set to 16 all the time. I used our base station one time to call for a radio check and got a station several miles away. That was also a base station.

alldodge

Staff member

Well, it's up to the FCC to enforce the rules. But I don't mean just coastal areas. There are some HUGE inland lakes in this country where you can be miles from shore in any direction. That's like an ocean. The USCG monitors channel 16. And more people than you know have a base station set to 16 all the time. I used our base station one time to call for a radio check and got a station several miles away. That was also a base station.

Agree with the big lakes (Erie, Michigan, etc). The smaller lakes I've been on in IN, KY, TN and others, you couldn't get a hold of the Coast Guard if you wanted to. I live on a inland lake and 16 is used by one of the marina's as their channel. Other marina's use 14, 73 and others. You can't get on 16 and call for a marina or another boat unless they stay on 16. Around where I have been, cruisers use 68 and 69, house boats use 71, and there are others.

Don't get me wrong I would like it to be the way it is on the coast and large lakes, it just isn't. As a former member of the USCG it is very important when trouble comes. FCC doesn't have the manpower to enforce much of anything due to like everyone else, cut backs.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a radio you should be monitoring channel 16 all the time, unless you are actually talking on another channel (radio watch). Serious boaters have two radios (or scanning radios) to keep access to channel 16. You should not use channel 16 for radio checks,, there are other channels for this. When you make contact with someone via the radio you should then agree to switch to a "talking channel" to keep channel 16 clear for hailing and announcements.

alldodge

Staff member

If you have a radio you should be monitoring channel 16 all the time, unless you are actually talking on another channel (radio watch). Serious boaters have two radios (or scanning radios) to keep access to channel 16. You should not use channel 16 for radio checks,, there are other channels for this. When you make contact with someone via the radio you should then agree to switch to a "talking channel" to keep channel 16 clear for hailing and announcements.

Gee thanks for the lesson :facepalm:

Monsterbishi

Cadet

The key point to remember is that it's not a choose one or the other situation - the way I see it is that you need a VHF in the least, if you just have a Cellphone, then stay onshore.

Cellphone plus VHF is good, and ultimately Cellphone plus VHF plus EPIRB is what everyone should aspire to.