Being ablw to use only 2 12 volt batteries for 12 and 24 volts

River Rider

Seaman Apprentice
I know that sounded confusing but what I want to do is not have to have 3 batteries in my boat. It is an outboard jet and every bit of weight matters. Basically I am wanting to run my 24 volt trolling motor as well as still just start the boat off the same two batteries. Just seeing if this could be done. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Being ablw to use only 2 12 volt batteries for 12 and 24 volts

I know that sounded confusing but what I want to do is not have to have 3 batteries in my boat. It is an outboard jet and every bit of weight matters. Basically I am wanting to run my 24 volt trolling motor as well as still just start the boat off the same two batteries. Just seeing if this could be done. Thanks.

The answer to that question is Absolutely! You simple series the batteries together for the trolling motor but only wire the O/B to one battery as usual. However, with that said, you have to watch how far you drain the two batteries strapped together to make sure you can crank the O/B again...

River Rider

Seaman Apprentice

That is what I needed thanks.

UncleWillie

Captain

Also understand that the two batteries will need to be recharged separately; Either one at a time or with a two bank charger.
Because one battery is being used more than the other for starting and operating any electronics or lighting on-board, they will never be at the same level of discharge.

Also the alternator will only be recharging one of the batteries and unless it takes many hour to get back to the dock after trolling, even that battery is not going to be fully charged and will need more.