Testing electrical without engine, using shore power

Art953

Recruit
Hi, I have a cruiser boat and have been trying to test the bilge pump and other electrical systems on the boat only using shore power. The last time I tried this the galley lights worked, this was without an engine and battery, only shore power. I did not have the key then so I could not test the bilge pump. Yesterday I found the key and tried the galley and bilge pump and neither of them worked. The amp reading said 120 so i know that it was receiving power but nothing worked, not even the galley lights. What seems to be the problem?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Testing electrical without engine, using shore power

Hi, I have a cruiser boat and have been trying to test the bilge pump and other electrical systems on the boat only using shore power. The last time I tried this the galley lights worked, this was without an engine and battery, only shore power. I did not have the key then so I could not test the bilge pump. Yesterday I found the key and tried the galley and bilge pump and neither of them worked. The amp reading said 120 so i know that it was receiving power but nothing worked, not even the galley lights. What seems to be the problem?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Boats have 2 electrical systems,.....

12 volts DC for most boats, 'n 120 volts AC for shore power in bigger boats such as yer's,....

12 Volt DC appliances won't run on 120 volt AC power, no more than 120 volt AC appliances will run on 12 volts DC,...

Ya need to sort out Yer systems to see what's what, 'n from where it's powered,...

Alumarine

Captain

You should not need a key to check the bilge pump.
It might not work without a battery, but it shouldn't need a key.

Thalasso

Commander

Bilge pumps work off of 12vdc not ac.No battery, it isn't going to work. Some bilge pumps are on a auto float that can be wired for both a switch and auto. and some not. The ones that aren't you will have to turn on a switch.
As for the galley lights, did you check the electrical panel to see if the breaker is on?

Last edited: