Question about my tachometer

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have noticed my tach is idling around 1200rpm but the 3.0 engine is purring what sounds to me like around 600 to 800. Then I notice the needle jumps to 2100, holds for a few seconds then drops to 1200 only to oscilate back up then down as it happily hums.
I am thinking this is an oxidation issue on some connections.
Anyoneconcur? I plane to tear into this when I get back home.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Question about my tachometer

You often need to rotate the pulse selector switch on the back of the tach a few times to clean the internal contacts, that should clear it up, make a note of what position its on before you do.

robert graham

Admiral

You often need to rotate the pulse selector switch on the back of the tach a few times to clean the internal contacts, that should clear it up, make a note of what position its on before you do.

Yep, that and check your in-line fuses for just a bit of corrosion on tips of fuses and the holder....clean with 3M pad, a touch of silicone/grease to help keep out moisture from humid marine environment....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have noticed my tach is idling around 1200rpm but the 3.0 engine is purring what sounds to me like around 600 to 800. Then I notice the needle jumps to 2100, holds for a few seconds then drops to 1200 only to oscilate back up then down as it happily hums.
I am thinking this is an oxidation issue on some connections.
Anyoneconcur? I plane to tear into this when I get back home.

If everything was originally working fine and this just started happening, then YES, I concur that some corrosion is taking place. Do what the previous commenters suggested and all should work fine again. Corrosion is a slow worker and can reek havoc when least expected...

Wouldn't be a bad idea to yearly clean as many terminal connections as you can to stop other electrical problems in their tracks too... JMHO!

Bullrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This forum is FANTASTIC! Thank you all!