On-Off-On rocker wiring question

Edrow

Recruit
I have an on-off-on, 6 terminal, lighted rocker switch. I would like to run 2 accessories off of the switch, neither of which should ever run at the same time. All wiring is in place and both devices require a 5 amp fuse. Power will be coming from my Blue Sea fuse block. I know these type switches are usually used for Nav lights. I have limited space and only room for 1 more switch, which is why I'd like to wire it this way. I followed Silvertip's diagram when I wired my Nav lights, and they work fine except one of the lights on the switch doesn't work. Not sure if I wired it wrong or if it's a bulb issue. It is the Shoreline Marine illuminated rocker switch.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: On-Off-On rocker wiring question

Have a model number of the switch?

Edrow

Recruit

Oh yeah that might help, SL51351. Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain

I have an on-off-on, 6 terminal, lighted rocker switch. I would like to run 2 accessories off of the switch, neither of which should ever run at the same time. All wiring is in place and both devices require a 5 amp fuse. Power will be coming from my Blue Sea fuse block. I know these type switches are usually used for Nav lights. I have limited space and only room for 1 more switch, which is why I'd like to wire it this way. I followed Silvertip's diagram when I wired my Nav lights, and they work fine except one of the lights on the switch doesn't work. Not sure if I wired it wrong or if it's a bulb issue. It is the Shoreline Marine illuminated rocker switch.

We have no idea of what diagram you used, but try it this way...

Run Power(12v) to a Center Terminal.
Run one accessory to the Top Terminal on that side.
Run The other accessory to the Bottom Terminal on the same side.

The other three terminals are not needed for the application you described.
The indicator lamps will not work unless the switch has an independent ground connection (7[SUP]th[/SUP]wire),
or there is a connection to both halves of the switch. No Load, No light!

Edrow

Recruit

Thanks Willie. The diagram I used isn't on the board anymore. I will give it a try. Man I'd like to get those lights glowing, I may have to experiment with that some. I wonder if this will work.....run 12v to center post, jumper to other center post. Accessory 1 lead to top post on input side, and accessory 2 lead to bottom post on jumpered side. Think that will light me up? I know some simple testing will prove what will work, but I'm at work brainstorming about how I'm gonna wire it haha

Edrow

Recruit

For what it's worth, the diagram I used for my Nav lights went like this...

-12v input to center post, jumper to other center post.
-Nav light lead to top post on input side.
-Stern light lead to bottom post on jumper side
-Splice from stern light lead up to jumper side top post

I know wiring nav lights has been beat to death but maybe someone will find this helpful. I think your right Willie, if I eliminate the splice from the stern light to the jumper side top post, both lights (or accessories in my case) should work independant of one another......since the halves are connected?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you want the light to work, you need to figure out which terminal hooks up to ground. I couldn't find a diagram online.