autopilot selection

fortunate son fishing

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 bayliner trophy (21ft) with a 351v8. Looking to add an autopilot this summer. I don't have a clue what to look for any suggestions? If it helps I have a lowarance hds5 graph.

agallant80

Commander
Re: autopilot selection

That is kinda of a small boat to put an autopilot on. What are you looking to accomplish? An autopilot system would cost about what that boat is worth.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm installing a Garmin GHP 10 on my 22'. Looking at @ $2800 once all is said and done

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That is kinda of a small boat to put an autopilot on. What are you looking to accomplish? .
the uses for an auto pilot while fishing are endless. Then you have your normal navigation useage

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Both MinKota and Motor Guide have bow mount trolling motors that can be set to troll to a compass heading,..

Or programmed to follow way points set in the trolling motors gps, Or be networked with the gps/locator,....

The MinKota Terova has been out for a few years,...and is only compatible with Hummingbird electronics,...

The Motor Guide ix5 (I think that is what it is called) with Pinpoint technology is new this spring,..And is only compatible with Lowrance electronics,....

fortunate son fishing

Seaman Apprentice

Its a cuddy cabin. I'd post a pic of the boat but am not sure how to. (Not interested in a trolling motor) I think I need a steering wheel motorized unit. But a guy from work said something about it is based on your motor size? Doesn't sound right to me but then again I have no idea.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Its a cuddy cabin. I'd post a pic of the boat but am not sure how to. (Not interested in a trolling motor) I think I need a steering wheel motorized unit. But a guy from work said something about it is based on your motor size? Doesn't sound right to me but then again I have no idea.
They are sized for the most part by displacement (length and weight)
I don't think anyone makes a steering wheel mount for powerboats anymore. Everything is setup for hydraulic steering

general_1999

Cadet

They are sized for the most part by displacement (length and weight)
I don't think anyone makes a steering wheel mount for powerboats anymore. Everything is setup for hydraulic steering

They make agricultural steering wheel motors with gps. Don't know if they will interface but would be cheap at farm auctions.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm thinking like the ray marine ev200?

Ayuh,.... I've got a Raymarine Sportpilot+ on my barge,...

It works just fine, so long as yer goin' Downwind at trollin' speeds, or over 5 mph otherwise,...

In my case, a complete Waste of money,...
The wind steers the barge, Much quicker that the auto-pilot can adjust to keep up,...

agallant80

Commander

the uses for an auto pilot while fishing are endless. Then you have your normal navigation useage

Huh, learn something new every day. Only time I have seen one used in on long cruises. Then again I don't fish...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Huh, learn something new every day. Only time I have seen one used in on long cruises. Then again I don't fish...
Most envision "fishing" as anchored up with a worm dangling over the side.:D

Typical scenarios... Bay fishing....not uncommon to troll 30-35 miles (8-10 hrs) down Bay then run back at the end of the day. Auto pilot frees up body and mind while trolling. Point and shoot on the way back to the barn.

Offshore, 35 - 90 mile run before fishing. Set autopilot for destination. Troll 8 hours before setting auto pilot for the barn.

Last edited:

fortunate son fishing

Seaman Apprentice

This isn't as helpful as I hoped it would be lol. I think I'm getting the ev100. I'm 99% sure its cable steer. If I recall correctly. My boat is roughly 6,000lbs dry(no gas/gear/passengers) add 4x210lb crew, 600 in gear(pretty generous) and 40gallons of gas. The ev100 works with boats up to 16,000 lbs displacement. Thoughts?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just installed the ev100, very easy only thing was it was hydraulic.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

.My boat is roughly 6,000lbs dry(no gas/gear/passengers) add 4x210lb crew, 600 in gear(pretty generous) and 40gallons of gas. The ev100 works with boats up to 16,000 lbs displacement. Thoughts?
The advertised dry weight of your boat is #3800. Add your #840 buddies, #600 of gear and 40 gallon of gas (#320) and you end up at roughly #5560.

I would not install a cable drive.

Last edited:

fortunate son fishing

Seaman Apprentice

Ah ya that makes sense. On the ray marine site it looked like the EV 100 fit cable drives, hydraulic, and a third option.