Interfacing Furuno with Garmin?

glink_98

Cadet
I have recently purchased a 35 year old sloop -- a Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore, 1979 (Ray Richards) ? which came with vintage Furuno radar and--- it works!

The Furuno is a Model 1720.

My question--- Is it possible to interface this radar with a modern charting package? My preference is Garmin just because that is what I have always used for handheld GPS units. But--- has anyone interfaced an old Furuno unit with ANY charting package??

Thanks a lot--- Rick

glink_98

Cadet
Re: Interfacing Furuno with Garmin?

To clarify-- I want to see the Furuno's raday scan superimposed on --say--- Garmin's Bluechart navigational data.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

without doing any research, I highly doubt it with the Furuno being vintage. However the Garmin tech support can answer your questions. Also, Garmin has radar units that are fairly inexpensive

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

To clarify-- I want to see the Furuno's raday scan superimposed on --say--- Garmin's Bluechart navigational data.
Nope, it's not going to happen even if both units where new. Proprietary communications protocols.

NYBo

Admiral

No NMEA 0183 or 2000 interface on the Furuno? Then it's a no-go.

NYBo

Admiral

Radar video is not supported by NMEA 0183 or 2000
I learn something new every time I'm here. Thanks!

Based on your previous reply, each brand uses its own proprietary protocol?

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about the Garmin, but I have the same old Furuno unit and the entire system is 'self-contained'. Today's units are much friendlier about inter-connectedness