Garmin 740s...overkill?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When I bought my Steiger Craft recently, it came with boxes and tubs full of extra electronics and accessories. I'm sorting through all of this stuff finally (That's why all the accessory questions). I'm boating on the Ohio river and have a Garmin 176c, a Hummingbird fish finder, and an older Furuno of some kind.

There's a brand new Garmin 740s in the box with a transducer kit. Besides the chance of having something this expensive stolen, is there any advantage to installing this for lake or river use?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Garmin 740s...overkill?

that is the unit I intend to use once I talk the admiral into it.

not sure on the lake or river, however would be helpful for navigating new to you waters.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

if you like the looks and features, go for it.... when you dock someplace and get out, take that baby with you......:faint2:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The 176 was discontinued almost 10 years ago.

Performance wise, the 740s fish finder blows the Hummingbird out of the water. Depending on the model, the Furuno might give the 740s a run for it's money. The 740 has a 7" screen, better performance and it replaces 2 units on the helm. No brainer to me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

dingbat, are you running a 740s? I would actually like to get feedback myself.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

dingbat, are you running a 740s? I would actually like to get feedback myself.
No..I'm running a Garmin 4208 with Furuno sonar. The 4208 is a full function MFD.

The 740s has the same GPS, supports radar, etc. but it doesn't support Garmin black box sounders like the 4208

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you dingbat, that's exactly the information that I need. The Furuno is old, real old. As I sort through the electronics, it'll help me decide what goes to which boat. The little 176c is a nice little portable unit. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I didn't know that the 740 was a fish finder also...it is a no brainer.