cold temperatures on lead acid batteries

randy.l.blaine

Recruit
I had my two-bank charger hooked up and keeping the batteries conditioned well into the cold weather season. Single digits and lower at times. The power was removed from the bats for two weeks during the coldest period of our winter and now I am concerned that if I return power to the charger a problem could occur with the batteries or charger. Any advice?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cold temperatures on lead acid batteries

so long as they have a charge on them they shouldn't freeze, I top mine off every couple weeks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I charge mine up in the fall and forget them until spring, done that for 20 plus years and no problems.

wrench 3

Commander

If your concerned about it, Pop a couple of caps and make sure the batteries aren't frozen (you shouldn't try to charge a frozen battery. It needs to be thawed first.)
I Emailed Interstate Batteries when I switched to the 4D batteries (they're hard to get in and out of the boat by myself) and they said it was just as good to leave them in the boat with the maintainer on them as it was to take them in the house and charge them once a month. They just said to make sure the water level was up.

Alumarine

Captain

It's no different than leaving a car parked for a period of time in cold weather.
I regularly leave my truck parked for 2 weeks without starting it at -30 and the battery (it's in good shape) will always be fine, and take a charge.

Bondo

Staff member

I charge mine up in the fall and forget them until spring, done that for 20 plus years and no problems.

Ayuh,.... Mine are still in the boat, with the charge they had when parked,....

In the Spring, I'll give 'em a charge,...

If they hold the charge, they go back to work,...
If not, it gets replaced,...

A charged battery oughta hold a decent charge for 4 to 6 months,...
If it can't, it's beat,.....
Replace it, insteada maskin' the problem by livin' with a charger hooked to it,...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

on a boat, if there is no current draw, a good battery should hold a charge all winter and not freeze. in your tow rig its a different story, new cars and trucks have computer systems that run at intervals even when turned off, they run self tests. at the dealership where I work, there are too many new cars on the lot and they have been parking overstock in a parking lot of a closed business up the street that they are renting. nobody goes up there to start these cars and trucks and now for the last month, seems like every time they go to get one to bring to the main lot, the battery is dead and frozen solid. I just changed one today, in a traverse that was delivered in September, brand new car no one has ever owned, brand new battery, dead, frozen solid

wrench 3

Commander

Battery manufacturers themselves say to top up the charge on brand new batteries sitting on the shelf at least every two months, to stop them from deteriorating. So I always figured I'd charge mine and extend their usable life span.

New car manufacturers say their cars can only sit for a month without disconnecting the battery or removing the appropriate fuse.