Boat wiring question

Moboter

Cadet
I'm getting ready to rewrite my boat. I have a couple of 50' rolls of 12 gauge marine tinned wire, is 12 gauge too big to use for wiring accessories( bilge, lights, depth sounder, live well aerator?) I hate to waste the wire but I'm not sure if it'll will cause resistance or something by being too big.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat wiring question

It depends on what each individual wire is running amp wise. Bigger don't hurt as the power can flow more easily. To small,the equipment want's more,the wire get's hot and shorts across others,causing fires. Very important to use correct wire and fused properly.
I have an app called wire sizer that might help ya out,look it up and download it,it's free. The longer the run,the bigger the wire should be.
I use the 3% voltage drop formula to figure out the wire size,wich is what the abyc standard is.
Good luck!
Grub

thumpar

Admiral

Too big won't cause a problem. Think of it like a hose. The only problem you get is when you have wire that is too thin. 12ga is good for most common thinks. If you have an amp or power hungry things you would want bigger.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Goggle this:

" Marine Wire Size and Ampacity west "

should be the first one on the list.

Many items on my boat are wired with 16,
Some with 18, and even 22.

Fishfinders and led lights for example.

Yes, bigger is better, but can be difficult to make good connections between a 12 and the hair like power leads that come on the fishfinders.

Last edited: