starter engages when connected to battery

nkremer

Cadet
Hello,
The motor I am working on is a 1984 Johnson 25 hp model number J25RLCRD, when I connect the battery, the starter engages while the key is in the off position. The wiring could be wrong, I had it apart and lost my notes. Here is what I have on the solenoid:
Battery Positive to solenoid (Big post)
Solenoid to starter (Opposite Big post on solenoid from battery positive)
Solenoid to starter bracket (grounded, small post adjacent to big post going to starter)

I have three remaining wires that were on the solenoid that I am not sure where they were, but this is what I tried:
A Red from the key switch to the solenoid. (Adjacent of battery positive small post).
A Red jumper with a 20 amp in line fuse going from big post (with wire from battery positive) to adjacent small post.
A Purple coming from the 2 ignition coils and power pack going to small post adjacent battery positive.

I have cleaned all connections, The key switch is grounded and only has 2 wires coming from it. The battery is grounded to the starter bracket. Obviously the starter is getting constant power, but I do not know how, either through solenoid or key switch. Before I can test anything I need to know the correct wiring for 3 wires in question to the solenoid. Also, when I disconnect the jumper wire with the 20 amp fuse, I get nothing when I turn the key, but at least I can connect the battery. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THE 3 WIRES IN QUESTION GO ON THE SOLENOID? (middle paragraph) Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: starter engages when connected to battery

Hello,
The motor I am working on is a 1984 Johnson 25 hp model number J25RLCRD, when I connect the battery, the starter engages while the key is in the off position. The wiring could be wrong, I had it apart and lost my notes. Here is what I have on the solenoid:
Battery Positive to solenoid (Big post)
Solenoid to starter (Opposite Big post on solenoid from battery positive)
Solenoid to starter bracket (grounded, small post adjacent to big post going to starter)

I have three remaining wires that were on the solenoid that I am not sure where they were, but this is what I tried:
A Red from the key switch to the solenoid. (Adjacent of battery positive small post).
A Red jumper with a 20 amp in line fuse going from big post (with wire from battery positive) to adjacent small post.
A Purple coming from the 2 ignition coils and power pack going to small post adjacent battery positive.

I have cleaned all connections, The key switch is grounded and only has 2 wires coming from it. The battery is grounded to the starter bracket. Obviously the starter is getting constant power, but I do not know how, either through solenoid or key switch. Before I can test anything I need to know the correct wiring for 3 wires in question to the solenoid. Also, when I disconnect the jumper wire with the 20 amp fuse, I get nothing when I turn the key, but at least I can connect the battery. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THE 3 WIRES IN QUESTION GO ON THE SOLENOID? (middle paragraph) Thank you.

If I am reading you correctly. There are 2 small post on the starter solenoid, one goes to ground and the other goes to the big post going to the starter. If this is correct, remove the wire going to the starter from the little post, that wire should go to your key switch. See below

2012-03-31_224718_outbrd_strt_cir.jpg

nkremer

Cadet

Thanks for the prompt response ALLDODGE and the diagram. I did as you suggested and connected the red wire with the in line fuse to the "B" terminal on the key switch. I can hook up the battery and got the motor running, but only when the purple wire coming from the power pack is disconnected and when the key switch is in the OFF position it continues to run. I am thinking that the purple wire goes to the key switch also. When the motor was running, I touched the purple wire to the engine block thinking the motor would shut off, it kept running. Would it be correct to assume the purple wire goes to the other "M" terminal on the key switch? Thank you

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for the prompt response ALLDODGE and the diagram. I did as you suggested and connected the red wire with the in line fuse to the "B" terminal on the key switch. I can hook up the battery and got the motor running, but only when the purple wire coming from the power pack is disconnected and when the key switch is in the OFF position it continues to run. I am thinking that the purple wire goes to the key switch also. When the motor was running, I touched the purple wire to the engine block thinking the motor would shut off, it kept running. Would it be correct to assume the purple wire goes to the other "M" terminal on the key switch? Thank you

Never di understand only having two wires on your ignition switch, even with an outboard motor. To start an outboard you remove the ground from the stator, to shut it down, you ground it. In the image below it shows connections which are normally used for an outboard

IBOATS PICTURE HANDELING STILL HAS PROBLEMS

nkremer

Cadet

Thanks again for your reply ALLDODGE. I connected the wirie from the power pack to the "M" terminal on the key switch and everything is functioning properly. The diagrams were also very helpful. The key switch has four wires going to it. Thank you.