Garmin GPS 492 too outdated?

QuietRider21

Seaman
hey,
ive came across a Garmin GPS 492 model for sale on craigslist. I have no experience with GPS/chart plotters. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with it but at least have it navigate the shallow bays & inlets for the most. I know the 492 has been out for quite a while so i was concerned with it being outdated. Would this be ok for what i would need it for it? would i need to buy software & update it? Lastly, considering it is used & getting old, would i actually have to test it in a boat to ensure it works properly?
thanks!!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Garmin GPS 492 too outdated?

hey,
ive came across a Garmin GPS 492 model for sale on craigslist. I have no experience with GPS/chart plotters. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with it but at least have it navigate the shallow bays & inlets for the most. I know the 492 has been out for quite a while so i was concerned with it being outdated. Would this be ok for what i would need it for it? would i need to buy software & update it? Lastly, considering it is used & getting old, would i actually have to test it in a boat to ensure it works properly?
thanks!!

The 492 is a current model. For it to be on Craigs list I would suspect it would be one of three possibilities:
Was not what someone wanted and wants something different and they have plenty of money
Something happened to it and (you can fill in the rest)
It is stolen and the thief wants to sell it

If it works it will work fine for what your doing, may need a map for your specific area for specifics (see Garmin)
You should be able to hook it up to a car battery and work through the functions if your outside

Read up on the manual before you inquire
Good luck

UncleWillie

Captain

^^^ What He Said!

Bring something to put water in. (Pail, Tote, Waste paper basket.)

Power it up out of the water and note the display. It WILL be ugly with crazy depth readings.
Place the transducer in the water and the display will still be nonsense, but it will change slightly as you move it around.

Put your hand on the Transducer under the water.
You may hear it clicking(Pinging) but you should be able to feel the pulses.

No Display, No Pulses, Walk Away. Otherwise there is a 90% chance it will work fine.
The GPS will work just like an auto GPS on land. Position, Speed, Heading, Etc.
If the seller can not explain the operation and all the mounts, brackets and cables are not there, it may be stolen.

The 492 is a discontinued Model, Circa 2006

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Are you an inland or coastal boater? I owned a 492 a few years back and it was a nice rig. The built-in coastal base maps were fine. I didn't need to buy a more detailed card for it. Fresh water use might be different. I don't know if the basemap includes inland lakes and rivers. Make sure it either a. has an nternal antenna, or b. factor in the cost of an external antenna for it (unless the seller is including one).

Have you checked this unit out on the Garmin site?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Bring something to put water in. (Pail, Tote, Waste paper basket.)

Power it up out of the water and note the display. It WILL be ugly with crazy depth readings.
Place the transducer in the water and the display will still be nonsense, but it will change slightly as you move it around.

Put your hand on the Transducer under the water.
You may hear it clicking(Pinging) but you should be able to feel the pulses.

No Display, No Pulses, Walk Away. Otherwise there is a 90% chance it will work fine.
Don't you think the test procedure is a bit over the top considering that the 492 is GPS only?.:lol:

I bought a Garmin 498 (sister model) on CL for cheap and am very happy with it. It was preloaded and works like a charm. The unit you are looking at should work for you. My guess...like mine...there is a self test that can be run. As well, I think when you turn it on the last location will display...either way you should be able to push through all the menus. As well, if the GPS satellite is attached you should be able to pick up your location at least. BTW...you can buy a generic for about $10 and I know a guy with transducers for about $25. You can also download the PDF manual from Garmin.

Good Luck!!

https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/1068_OwnersManual.pdf

To turn on the GPSMAP 392/398/492/498:
1. Press and hold the POWER key until the power tone sounds, then release the POWER key. The title page, and then the Warning Page appears while the unit conducts a self-test.
2. When the self-test is complete, press ENTER to agree and acknowledge the warning.
3. Press ENTER to answer NO to the window asking “Do you want to start the Retail Demonstration?”. You are only asked this the first time you start the unit. The GPS Information Page appears as the receiver begins acquiring
satellites.
To turn off the GPSMAP 392/398/492/498:
1. Press and hold the POWER key.
2. When the screen is blank, release the POWER key.

QuietRider21

Seaman

thanks for all the great info! as far as the tranducer goes, i dont believe it has one! the picture just shows power cord that plugs into a standard 12v port and what looks like a round plastic antenna housing? i will be using this in costal waters, bays, inlets etc.. There is too much shallow water & sandbars around which is why i thought this may help. out of curiousity, does anyone know what these sold for new?
below is a pic

Attachments

• 00V0V_5YIGtrlC67Q_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_5YIGtrlC67Q_600x450.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

They currently sell for about $400 believe or not and about $579 retail new. I mean...I wouldn't pay that. My 498 was less than $200. That bump on the top may be the internal antenna. You'll know if it's internal when you turn it on and it locates the satellites. Perfect for what you are using it for.

UncleWillie

Captain

Don't you think the test procedure is a bit over the top considering that the 492 is GPS only?.:lol:

I suppose you could say that! :facepalm:

It wasn't clear if if it did or didn't but I could not conceive in getting a Marine GPS without sonar.
I glanced at the owners manual and saw the Sonar screens instructions an assumed it had Sonar included.
I now see that it is an expensive add on. :embarassed:

Unless this can be had for under $100 dollars I would pass.

The H-Bird 386ci Combo would be better choice for under $300.
Even if you do not fish, knowing the water depth and temperature is nice to know even for cruising or water-sports.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I suppose you could say that! :facepalm:

It wasn't clear if if it did or didn't but I could not conceive in getting a Marine GPS without sonar.
Like any one size fits all piece of equipment, a combo unit is a compromise.

Your giving up screen size and in most cases performance going that route. Not to mention you'd putting both eggs in one basket. I can fish a tournament with one or the other. I'm dead w/o both

QuietRider21

Seaman

my boat is actually already equipped with a gauge in the dash that displays water/air temp & water depth. The problem is, is that its its telling me the depth in my current location, not the depth ahead of me in my path. Ive run into some really low water & hidden sanbars without warning. its very frustrating and i'm purchasing this gps to help avoid that. will this gps inform me where the shallow waters & sanbars are?

Ive run into some really low water & hidden sanbars without warning. its very frustrating and i'm purchasing this gps to help avoid that. will this gps inform me where the shallow waters & sanbars are?

Exactly what I was going to mention. I really don't care what the sonar is going to tell me right about the time I am on top of...oops...too late. The chart tells me the depth and route which is really what I need. If it is shallow enough to see...one I am going slow enough and two if I can see the bottom what good is the sonar?

Just remember to get the Garmin cheap...less than $150 for sure. It's used and you are buying the unknown. Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are not going to see a sandbar on a GPS plot. You might be able to tell you are headed toward shallow water and to be more alert, slow down and keep watch out for it but that's just smart boating.

You are not going to see a sandbar on a GPS plot. You might be able to tell you are headed toward shallow water and to be more alert, slow down and keep watch out for it but that's just smart boating.

I agree with smart boating but can also tell you my GPS map shows sandbars and such. Granted they may not all be there but it's more of the shallow water I am watching for and it makes good sense to use the GPS AND your eye. On the other hand, the sonar won't tell you about that sandbar dead ahead either. One should never WOT over unknown waters...that's just dumb and that is not what GPS nor sonar if for.