Help me pick out my batteries

The Revenge

Seaman
It's down to two choices:
The system will have two batteries.

Sears diehard platinum marine agm battery size 34M. Dual use battery with 880 CCA, and 135 rc. Great warranty. Free replacement for first 36 months. $229 X 2.

Optima blue tops. First one 34DC deep cycle, 750 CCA, 120rc. AND second one 34MS 800 CCA, 100rc. Warranty not as good. 2 year free replacement. $161 and $189.

Another battery that was a good prospect but I don't live near a west marine. While out of town recently I looked at one. It's a SeaVolt agm 55, group 34 dual purpose. 975cca and 120rc. Nothing on their website for some reason but that little battery packs a punch. $199 each

Either way they're all over kill for my little whaler and will suffice.

What say you guys?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Help me pick out my batteries

go with the Sears. they are made by Enersys (one of the best battery manufactures) and much cheaper than the batteries carying the enersys name brands

Optimas have never been the same since JCI bought them and moved the manufacturing to Mexico

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't bother with the Optima batteries unless you'll be racing or something.
I don't know if you can find a Deka dealer but I've always had great service from their batteries.

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice

I`ve used Deka AGM`s in the ski`s and Sears Diehard platinum PM2 in the boat! excellent battery!
we`ve also used the PM1 bigger brother in the 4WD rigs for using the winch , another excellent battery without the cost of the Oddy brand name...

I can not remember correctly, but I thought the SeaVolt westmarine AGM battery was made by East penn, which also makes the Deka AGM.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

go with the Sears. they are made by Enersys (one of the best battery manufactures) and much cheaper than the batteries carying the enersys name brands
Same batteries I just bought. Re-badged Odyssey batteries.

You should look around for coupons or find out when they go on sale. I bought my 31s for nearly the same price on sale.

Optima quality went way down when the company was bought out.

Last edited:

The Revenge

Seaman

I'm going to go with the Die Hards.
Too bad about Optima. They used to be a hell of a battery. I ran one in a race car before for two years with no charging system.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with the others - look at the Sears batteries. They go on sale quite frequently. They are the best batteries I've ever used!

Ken