Batteries

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've not been able to get to the lake much--twice in two years. I charge my batteries on-board, but I now have three dead batteries, each with at least one cell near dead, and all weak. They are Interstate brand. Why won't they hold a charge? This seems excessively fast for failure, particularly since the last three also only lasted two years. The credit for length of service is GARBAGE. Any advice on what I'm facing here. Three more batteries will equal nine in five years, with a grand total of maybe 10 trips to the lake.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Batteries

Do you keep them fully charged...always? Are they being charged with a good quality charger that doesn't overcharge them?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I know a lot of people like them. Their was a time when it was a good brand but thats long past. I have never gotten decent service from a interstate marine battery. The ones I have owned are just barely up to their rated specs and fail fast. As far as any warranty clams, thats a bad joke.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Supposedly, the Kirkland batteries from Costco are made by the same company that makes Interstate. My Kirkland always last at least 5 years. I replace them at that point no matter what. I always kept mine on a Guest 3 stage charger 24/7.

Batteries are at the mercy of the person taking care of them. If you discharge them past 50%, store them in a discharged state or don't charge them properly they aren't going to last long.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As has been made abundantly clear already...........Batteries can be a pain in the butt.

If a Battery is not used regularly they don't last long no matter what brand.

I have no intention of buying specially designated batteries ....nor have I ever ...........whether for my 18 ft Cuddy Cabin......my Motorhome......or my aluminum boat fir the reason above.

For the mount of time I use my toys it does not even pay to buy a specific Marine Battery whether for the larger boat or the 12 ft aluminum .

I have three vehicles insured and on the road full time. When I go away I take all the batteries along and they are always good and never let me down. Besides I made it that much more difficult to have my vehicles stolen.

My 2 bits

UncleWillie

Captain

I've not been able to get to the lake much--twice in two years.
I charge my batteries on-board
, but I now have three dead batteries ...

If by "I charge my batteries on-board" means that you charge them using the alternator when the engine is running, and you only run the engine once a year; That is the problem!

If you mean that you have an On-Board charger that is powered by shore power and the charger is an "Old School" type that does not have a maintenance mode; that is the problem!

If the charger is a smart charger with a Maintenance mode that only charges for a second or two every few minutes, I would ask how often you have checked the water in the batteries.

I suspect that the batteries were not fully charged and were outside and frozen for a winter or two. Certain Death!

I have an Interstate battery that is three years old.
It is spending the winter in my attached garage, a cool 50-60 degrees, but not frozen.
I check the voltage abut once a month. It was charged back in October and it is still reading 12.7v.
If the voltage drops to 12.5v, I will top off the charge.
Otherwise, it will get topped off again in May before it goes back in the boat.
I use the boat at least 20 times between May and October.

Batteries require that they be charged and watered at regular intervals.
Every three months or so is reasonable. Every other year is not.