Fitting GPS Plotter

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Monterey 194FS

I Want to fit a 5” GPS Plotter/Sonar … … dash mount options don’t work, due to layout of gauges in the pod that is on top of dash … no flat area .. and even if I used a ‘stand-off’ mount, the plotter would obscure the gauges.

An option would be fitting on windshield support strut, the strut would get plotter in good position & all gauges still clear.

The strut is ?” diameter steel tube, anybody used these clamps to fit to a windscreen support strut:
RAM Mount UK

My only concern is how tight the clamp would have to be tightened, and if that would crush the tube.

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Fitting GPS Plotter

I've never mounted to a strut specifically, however I'm a huge fan of ram mounts. I use them exclusively in my vehicles for my ham radio gear, as well as my tablet and cell phone. The big thing it's they are only as sturdy as whatever your mounting them to. Because of the use of the arms, any small amount of play, will be amplified.

Bill

NYBo

Admiral

I would reinforce the area under the U-bolt with a piece of aluminum to prevent crushing. However, since this appears to be from a UK website, it may require a piece of aluminium instead. :laugh:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Here is a picture of how I have mine using a RAM mount. Perfect viewing angle so my dog can also see :)

sable.jpg

Here is another.
I can take a better picture if you need it.
11485_10151767761334612_1862646175_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer

which 'base' did you use for fixing to the boat ?

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer

They don't make any aluminum ...in UK only Aluminium ..
It was Humphry Davy in 1808, after his electrolysis experiments who gave the metal its current name, so as we named it, I think we have the claim on how to spell it. :joyous:

The manufacturer advise the mount is supplied with shim .... so 'maybe' it would be OK:

RAM Mount UK

NYBo

Admiral

They don't make any aluminum ...in UK only Aluminium ..
It was Humphry Davy in 1808, after his electrolysis experiments who gave the metal its current name, so as we named it, I think we have the claim on how to spell it. :joyous:
Hence my caveat! Actually, the British spelling conforms to the spellings of other similar elements (e.g. lithium, beryllium, etc.) so it makes more sense.