Anyone into antique VHF marine radios?

waterinthefuel

Commander
I don't know why I got into this, but they are fun to tinker with. I bought an old Apelco Clipper 82 VHF on Ebay. This thing was so ugly I fell in love with it. I repainted the case, and then discovered it was dead. It would transmit, but only static. It didn't appear to receive anything at all. I stuck it in the box, put it in the closet, and left it there. For about 8 years. Fast forward to yesterday.

I got bored and decided to see if I could get this thing working. Well, I found an original owners manual for it online. This isn't just a "this button does this" manual. This manual had a diagram of every circuit board in the radio, part numbers, descriptions and if you were good, you could find the part on the page and then find it right away inside the radio. It even had a troubleshooting section, with things like "no sound out of speaker" and then instructions like "1. check Diode12r, 2. check IC2, 3. Check resistor 34, 36, etc" Cool stuff. You don't get that in manuals anymore, mostly because none of these radios can be worked on by an end user.

After several hours of studying, I got to work. I powered it up again to see what it would do. I did not have an antenna so I put it on low power (1 watt) turned on my scanner, and transmitted very briefly so as not to destroy the radio. Ok, just static. So I consulted the owners manual on the section about "no or low modulation" and the first thing was check the mic. Then check a few things on the board. I checked the board items first and they appeared just fine. Then it dawned on me.....if I'm getting a transmit light, transmitting, but no voice, that might be a mic issue. Well the mic was old but appeared ok. So I looked at the wires going from the back of the mic input jack on the front to the main board. I gave all 3 a light light light pull and one was disconnected!! :) Oh that's a good sign, a REALLY good sign. But soldering these 35yo wires that were literally the diameter of a human hair proved almost impossible. It took me almost 2 hours to get the radio, soldering iron, myself and the solder into a position to make the connection. I ended up breaking a second wire but in doing so, I freed up the board and the wire so it actually made it easier.

I put everything back together and with much anticipation, tried it. Still, just static. Damn, how could that be?? I got mad at the mic and banged it on the floor (carpeted) and then all of a sudden I get feedback through the scanner!!!! That means the radio is hearing itself! That means the mic is picking up something now!! So I tried speaking and could hear myself but not clearly. I banged the mic on the floor again and it transmitted just about crystal clear!! It was a combination of a broken wire and a POS mic.

Ok, fast forward about 15 minutes after putting everything together. I found an old hand-held VHF tranceiver and managed to find all the parts to make it work. I tried transmitting and heard nothing on the old antique VHF, just static. I said no way, no no no!!! Consulting the manual again, the last thing it said to check was the antenna. I said well, it has no antenna hooked up right now but it should still work this close. But as a last resort, I brought it out to my truck and hooked it up to my HAM radio 2m antenna. I won't transmit with it, but I just want to receive the WX to see if it works. A few button punches and Viola! The local weather is coming in crystal clear. No distortion in the old speaker or anything!!!

My 1979 Apelco VHF is fully functional!!! :joyous:

[video]http://s79.photobucket.com/user/waterinthefuel/media/20140107_1647271_zps51c88904.mp4.html[/video]

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anyone into antique VHF marine radios?

Not a radio but I've been through something similar with an ancient depth finder.

It's an old Heathkit unit all contained in one box. My Dad (God Rest His Soul) and I put it together in the early 70's. I remember it was a several week project since neither of us had a clue what we were doing. The instuctions, as I recall, were outstanding, as I found later-read on.

I broke it out a few months ago. All looked good except it would not read the bottom. Faint returns but nothing specific. Somewhat erratic.

Well, since I had the original build manual, I went through the daignostic steps. It turned out I had one pin, on the transducer plug in, at the unit head, that was not seating. Simple fix.

Works fine now.

I love resurrecting this old stuff that brings back memories and works surprisingly well.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nice radio....... I am a bit offended that you consider 1979 an antique!!! Good job on the troubleshooting and getting it to work. You do realize that radio will do 25 watts!! Get a good antenna instead of the 2M one from your car.

Splat

Lieutenant

Nice work.

73 de N8DOA

Bill

waterinthefuel

Commander

Nice radio....... I am a bit offended that you consider 1979 an antique!!! Good job on the troubleshooting and getting it to work. You do realize that radio will do 25 watts!! Get a good antenna instead of the 2M one from your car.

Yes, it will, and if it doesn't, I know which pot to adjust to make it put out 25. The manual talked about that too! I was only using my 2m antenna to test it on receive. I have a "checker" that checks output power. I can tweak it the next time I go to the camp. I lost my little short piece of co-ax I used to use to check the radios. I don't know where it went. I really don't want to buy another one.

I doubt it's still putting out 25 watts like it did when new, but I could be wrong! We shall see.

Edit: I just seached my home and found that cable. I have a power/swr checker for my 2m and its for 140-525mhz, wouldn't that work with my VHF rig?? I'm not concerned about SWR, but could I test power with it? It's a very expensive little piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yes the SWR/Power meter will work since the marine VHF is 157.000 to 161.000 U.S. VHF Channels

I would do it with caution because the swr meter is an inline meter and not a dummy load. I use a dummy load for my HF work. Actually a 18 5/8" antenna will work fine but that is a 1/4 wave and a full wave would be a bit over 6'

The proper antenna set up on a mast will work great.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yes the SWR/Power meter will work since the marine VHF is 157.000 to 161.000 U.S. VHF Channels

I would do it with caution because the swr meter is an inline meter and not a dummy load. I use a dummy load for my HF work. Actually a 18 5/8" antenna will work fine but that is a 1/4 wave and a full wave would be a bit over 6'

The proper antenna set up on a mast will work great.

Well, that's the thing. I have no use for it and no place to put it. I just fixed it for fun. I've used that same little get-up to check the SWR on my 2m rig. It tested like 1.1:1 SWR at 50 watts. I was impressed. I know I won't get that with the 2m, but it HAS to be better than me NOT using any antenna at all. I read somewhere that since 2m is just below marine VHF, that the antennas are close enough that they can be used interchangeably with acceptable, but not perfect, results. The antenna is rated up to 50 watts anyway, so 25 won't be straining it. I'm not looking to use a 2m antenna for the VHF marine radio long term, this is only for the test, then I hook up my 2m rig back up to the antenna. In fact, in that video, I'm using my 2m antenna to receive the weather.

I'm going to try to hook up this rig tomorrow and I'll report back the results.

jhebert

Ensign

Unless you hold a commercial radiotelephone license, you should not be making any adjustments to a VHF Marine Band transmitter.

You cannot install this older radio radio because it does not meet the DSC Class-D rating which is required.

Last edited:

waterinthefuel

Commander

Checking on this.

Last edited:

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

It's nice to know someone still appreciates these old Apelco radios. My matched pair (VHF/ADF) are still in service, backing up the newer stuff. An ADF is a great tool to have onboard. Other boats can run, but they can't hide. There used to be a shop in Florida with parts (Global Nav-Comm), who would tune mine up now and then, but he's long gone. It looks like I'll be sending them in to "waterinthefuel" from now on. And yes, I have the original owner's manuals, with fold out schematic diagrams and all.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 0

waterinthefuel

Commander

It's nice to know someone still appreciates these old Apelco radios. My matched pair (VHF/ADF) are still in service, backing up the newer stuff. An ADF is a great tool to have onboard. Other boats can run, but they can't hide. There used to be a shop in Florida with parts (Global Nav-Comm), who would tune mine up now and then, but he's long gone. It looks like I'll be sending them in to "waterinthefuel" from now on. And yes, I have the original owner's manuals, with fold out schematic diagrams and all.

Oh yes, I love the old radio. There is no reason it won't last a long time. It's built well.

And I've checked up on the Class D requirements. It's perfectly legal to install into a boat that doesn't require a radio, like any small recreational vessel in US water. I called the USCG and that's what they told me. I'm currently awaiting a reply from the FCC on this.

And as far as me working on the radio, I have a HAM general class licence, and am legally able to work on radios up to 1500 watts, so I'm pretty sure I can tune a marine VHF myself, but I'm also checking on this to make sure.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

You cannot install this older radio radio because it does not meet the DSC Class-D rating which is required.

You can use the functioning radio in any recreational boat without fear. Only newer radios require the DSC/Class-D rating.
You just can't sell the older radio to some poor sap, in plain view of USCG of FCC personnel:)
And, how will any USCG person know if the SC101 radio was "newly installed , or has been in the boat since 1979 ? They won't.

FYI:

Therefore, after March 25, 2011, radios built to RTCM Standard SC-101 can no longer be manufactured, imported, sold or installed; however, previously-installed radios meeting the older standard may continue to be used. Users of RTCM-SC-101 compliant DSC radios that are not Class D, will not be required to upgrade. This new specification is only for insuring that all radios that are sold or reinstalled after March 25th, 2011 are Class D.

Last edited:

waterinthefuel

Commander

This is incorrect. Any of the older radios are perfectly fine to use and install. It's illegal to manufacture one without DSC submitted for approval after 1996, but for a voluntary vessel, any old radio will do. You're over reading the regulations. I just got a call back from someone at BoatUS, and he said the same thing that the Coast Guard did. Think about it. If this would be true, this regulation would make 10 million VHF radios currently in use suddenly illegal overnight and that's nuts.

All old radios were grandfathered in. No new radios can be manufactured without DSC, but old ones are just fine. And yes, its perfectly legal to sell an old radio in front of anyone. They're not illegal to use. They're perfectly legal to install as well.

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

Crank that sucker up, just watch for splatter. You'll be fine.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Well, I put it on the "bench" and tested it. It showed over 1 watt on 1 watt, (but not much more) but 14 watts on 25 watts. I'll just say I "looked into it" and discovered it wouldn't go over 14 no matter what. Then I remembered its 25 watts AT 13.6 VOLTS. Well my lawnmower battery surely wasn't putting that out so I put a charger on it to crank the voltage up and all I will say here is that shes DEFINITELY putting out 25 watts. That's all I can say.

Oh yea, just FYI, my SWR's were through the roof using the 2m antenna. I won't do that again for anything. It's a marine antenna for the old beast from now on, or I won't use it.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Do you have a frequency counter? If not borrow one from a fellow ham:) The standard antenna calculations puts the marine bands just slightly above the 144-148 2m and the 2 meter antenna should be able to be adjusted to match. You could build a copper tube J pole and I bet that would work.

Ahhhh the beauty of the off season - time to play with the other hobbies :)

I have a friend with a nice sailboat and he takes some interesting trips. It is equipped with all his radios and in some countries the marine band is actually used for police. He has modified radios so he can tune the local bands. Most of his equipment is older too.

BTW I just saw this on ebay and it is cheap ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Fre...0?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Meters&hash=item5d43ce0130

Last edited:

waterinthefuel

Commander

Do you have a frequency counter? If not borrow one from a fellow ham:) The standard antenna calculations puts the marine bands just slightly above the 144-148 2m and the 2 meter antenna should be able to be adjusted to match. You could build a copper tube J pole and I bet that would work.

Ahhhh the beauty of the off season - time to play with the other hobbies :)

I have a friend with a nice sailboat and he takes some interesting trips. It is equipped with all his radios and in some countries the marine band is actually used for police. He has modified radios so he can tune the local bands. Most of his equipment is older too.

BTW I just saw this on ebay and it is cheap ! Digital Frequency Counter for Two Way Radio Transceiver GSM 50 MHz 2 4 GHz GY560 | eBay

Wonderful, yet another gadget. Thanks Bob, I don't need to be spending more money, ya know! :facepalm:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well that is cheap compared to the one I have. I have an older one. I really wish I could afford and justify a MFJ-269 toy but I don't do that much antenna work. I did pick up the ARRL antenna book via ebay at a great price (cheaper then ARRL price).

Build a small dipole for it and that would be cheap to do.

I like spending OPM (Other People's Money) :D