Losing Shore Power - Bad Boat Side Power Inlet - Replace or possibly fix?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
As summer passed I would have to "jiggle" the power cable to the shore power to get it to turn on, and from time to time it would turn off even with everything secured. The trick is to slightly turn the power cord backward as if you were unlocking it to take it off. Never had problems with the A/C so I tried swapping cables and no change in behavior. I'm fairly certain that it's just the inlet that is the issue. The cable swap to me sort of proves it, and I've heard from others it's the inlet.

My question is, is there a repair option or is it best to just replace the entire thing? I'll pull it out and check for loose connections, but I'm not sure what causes these things to fail. Do the blades get thin or other possibilities that could cause a short? (I want to fix it right, don't want some electrical hazard.)

I don't want to replace the inlet because I'm not sure how universal these things are. Don't want gaps between the 2 plugs or anything. Unfortunately the boat is 3 hours away and I have no pictures so I'm not completely sure what is in there.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Losing Shore Power - Bad Boat Side Power Inlet - Replace or possibly fix?

Which end of the shore power cable are you referring to? If it is the boat end and you switched cables with no difference then my guess would be the boat plug. The prongs on the boat (plug) end will get loose. Pull the plug out and see if all the terminals are tight. There easy to change. If you had to jiggle the cord at the supply end then that plug is defective. Your situation is the main cause of boat fires and electrocutions.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

+1 ^^^

Open up the Socket on the boat and inspect the back side.
If you see anything loose or corroded just correct the problem.

This is an easy DIY issue.
Remember, that as long as the boat is not plugged into shore power, there is no power, and therefore no way to get shocked while working on the plug.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the feedback. I'm talking about the inlet to the boat being the issues.

I'll pull it out and check it. I wasn't sure if this was one of those items where if you are having problems you just replace it.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm talking about the inlet to the boat being the issues.

I'll pull it out and check it. I wasn't sure if this was one of those items where if you are having problems you just replace it.

Ayuh,.... When ya pull it out, look it over for loose connections, 'n if there's loose connections, they're probably carbon tracked,...

If so, replace it insteada tryin' to clean it up,...

Replacement sockets are somewhat standard, 'n not all that expensive,...

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... When ya pull it out, look it over for loose connections, 'n if there's loose connections, they're probably carbon tracked,...

If so, replace it insteada tryin' to clean it up,...

Replacement sockets are somewhat standard, 'n not all that expensive,...

So loose at all, replace it? Or just if there are the tracks on it (which I'm guess means arching)?

They do appear somewhat standard and actually iboats sells just the internal round piece.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Just a quick follow up. I checked the inlet in the boat and 2 of the prongs were loose. I pulled the plug out and there was some discoloration where the hot wire come into socket. I found just a replacement inlet (no cover) that's held into the plug cover by 3 screws for $32 at the local parts store.

By far the hardest part of the project was just getting the back cover and front plates off that the inlet was mounted to. Held in with 8 small bolts with nylon nuts in my setup. Thank goodness my girlfriend was there to run the drill as I climbed into the engine compartment and put myself into a pretzel shape to hold the wrench on. Other than that very easy job.

Last edited: