minn kota 74lb thrust trouble

aweaverbama

Recruit
Ok first of all, I boat the boat in August 2004 Skeeter and the trolling motor came with it. It worked fine the first 10 to 12 times I used it. While fishing one day it was set on about 50% of throttle it started making a squealling noise and got weak. So i checked the battery contacts every thing looked fine I tried it again it worked fine this happend several times until it just continually made the noise and only gave half the power that I had it set on. I took it to the shop and it did the same thing at the shop as it did on my boat. After a wek he called and said it was ready and I ask him what did he find. He said he changed the armature. So I put it back on the boat it did the same thing. I go and get my batteries checked and they were bad so I bought 2 new batteries and the same results. I checked the voltage at the batteries and the plug and they looked good. Some help please?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: minn kota 74lb thrust trouble

Hi, aweaverbama, :welcome:

Check for a loose bearing.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You got water intrusion into the motor end. That explains the armature rebuild.

You have to seal the L/U. Otherwise, you'll chase this until you trash it.

aweaverbama

Recruit

You got water intrusion into the motor end. That explains the armature rebuild.

You have to seal the L/U. Otherwise, you'll chase this until you trash it.

The guy at the shop said it clean on the inside with no sign of water and the gaskets looked good. Why he replaced the armature idk.

aweaverbama

Recruit

Hi, aweaverbama, :welcome:

Check for a loose bearing.

I dont think its the bearings. When put the speed controler at 10 it makes that noise and the prop is not even moving