Navionics App for iphone. I'm impressed so far. Anyone else using it?

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is anyone else using the Navionics app for the iphone or android?
I just downloaded it and have been very impressed so far.
It's got great contour and detail for the area I boat and fish (Kentucky Lake / Tennessee river)
I can mark shallow water to my spec, adjust the lake level with the season, mark waypoints, see old road beds and creek channels.
It was 14.99 and gives me everything I would have used if I bought a 1000 dollar GPS depthfinder.
For anyone else on a budget you should check this out.
It may be all you need.
I have no affiliation with them, I just wanted share this with some fellow boaters before they dropped some heavy cash on equipment they may not need.

For the folks already using it, any advice for a navionics newbie?

4now04

Seaman
Re: Navionics App for iphone. I'm impressed so far. Anyone else using it?

Yes, it works very well. Also works on android/ipad tablets. You may have to get a mount and power cord for the helm. A friend uses his wifi ipad with a wireless GPS receiver. Mapping detail is very good, but I would not expect perfect depth accuracy in every location without a sonar. A little caution is cheaper than a lower unit.:)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a great app but the phone is to hard to see in the daylight. I really only use it to study area I plan to boat in ahead of the trip.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you help me out here?

1) I'm in a small pram (with oars!) going in Everglades areas. Although I have a Garmin Nuvi for the car, I have no power in the boat and don't want to rig 12V just for this. (I have an iPhone and iPad Mini, but because of convenience and because I don't have a data plan on the iPad, I want to go with the phone.)

2) I boat around shallow cypress islands/hammocks, high vegetation areas, etc. So if I row from shore in certain locations far enough, I lose all sight of where I started out, or even where the shore is. (From one area, there's a cell tower I can spot from anywhere to get me home.)

3) I'm not concerned about plotting out a course ahead of time, but will this software "draw a path" from me as I row out--kind of like a line--that I can follow exactly to get BACK via the exact same route? Or do I have to set multiple way-points along the way? In other words, a straight line from Point A to Point Z doesn't do me any good, because I have to row around all of these islands.

4) If I have fishing luck at a certain spot, can I store the location for future reference?

Thanks for your insights.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you help me out here?

1) I'm in a small pram (with oars!) going in Everglades areas. Although I have a Garmin Nuvi for the car, I have no power in the boat and don't want to rig 12V just for this. (I have an iPhone and iPad Mini, but because of convenience and because I don't have a data plan on the iPad, I want to go with the phone.)

2) I boat around shallow cypress islands/hammocks, high vegetation areas, etc. So if I row from shore in certain locations far enough, I lose all sight of where I started out, or even where the shore is. (From one area, there's a cell tower I can spot from anywhere to get me home.)

3) I'm not concerned about plotting out a course ahead of time, but will this software "draw a path" from me as I row out--kind of like a line--that I can follow exactly to get BACK via the exact same route? Or do I have to set multiple way-points along the way? In other words, a straight line from Point A to Point Z doesn't do me any good, because I have to row around all of these islands.

4) If I have fishing luck at a certain spot, can I store the location for future reference?

Thanks for your insights.

Yes it will do all of those things you mention. One drawback is that it's hard on the phone battery. You should look into a way to add extra battery time while you'r out on the water. They sell portable external batteies for the iphone that you could pick up.

superbenk

Commander

I love the Navionics app. Been trying to justify paying for it on the iPad in addition to my iphone, but for most trips the iphone is sufficient. iPad makes for nicer planning. Navionics also has a web app for accessing their maps for free on your desktop.

NakedDog

Seaman

I just bought the app for my iphone as well, and it looks better than I expected - although not tested on the water. The maps have more coverage of bodies of water in my area, and the detail looks comparable to my BlueCharts maps on my Garmin which was MUCH more money.

I'm looking forward to testing it in the boat this spring.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for replying, guys--and sorry for the delay in MY response.

And I got a few more questions:

1) Do the maps have anything to do with my needs, based on how I'm going to use it? In other words, the land masses I row around change with water levels--it's almost a SWAMP. So will I actually see these land masses accurately depicted on the map? Just asking, although all I really need (for now) is the app to draw me a route out, so I can follow it back.

2) I have to dig through my drawers to find the manual (and computer cord) for my Garmin Nuvi 2450. I've only ever used it for the car, but I'm pretty sure it has a "pedestrian" kind of mode, for like hiking. Isn't it possible that this will do what I need, perhaps better than the Navionics app? (Mostly considering its large display and own power source. I later realized that I can just charge it and don't need a 12V supply on the boat.)

The Navionics app is sure cheap enough, so it's not a matter of money.

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

The Navionics can track your path. Not sure about the Garmin.

You can checkout the Navionics maps before you buy here: WebApp | Navionics

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not showing the preserve at all, which is okay as long as it tracks my path.

Here's a map view of the preserve, the only one I could find, in relation to the neighboring towns/cities. Can't seem to correlate this at all with the Navionics map. Click on the map in the right-most position in the first row:

arthur marshall wildlife refuge map - Yahoo Search Results

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I have been using the app (for android0 for 3 years. It does the job fine for our type of boating

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for replying, guys--and sorry for the delay in MY response.

And I got a few more questions:

1) Do the maps have anything to do with my needs, based on how I'm going to use it? In other words, the land masses I row around change with water levels--it's almost a SWAMP. So will I actually see these land masses accurately depicted on the map? Just asking, although all I really need (for now) is the app to draw me a route out, so I can follow it back.

2) I have to dig through my drawers to find the manual (and computer cord) for my Garmin Nuvi 2450. I've only ever used it for the car, but I'm pretty sure it has a "pedestrian" kind of mode, for like hiking. Isn't it possible that this will do what I need, perhaps better than the Navionics app? (Mostly considering its large display and own power source. I later realized that I can just charge it and don't need a 12V supply on the boat.)

The Navionics app is sure cheap enough, so it's not a matter of money.

You can adjust the water level manually. The lake I fish flucuates by 5ft throughout the year. Adjust it down and the land previously underwater now shows above.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

one thing that caught me off guard with Navionics App:
They say you don't need a cell connection to use it, which is sort of right. What does happen though, is each time you venture into a new territory, it needs to download those area maps. If you don't have either A) a data plan (you just rely on wi-fi) and B) a wi-fi signal or cell tower nearby
You won't be using Navionics in the newly visited areas as you go.
I took it kayaking and had no info.

Alumarine

Captain

one thing that caught me off guard with Navionics App:
They say you don't need a cell connection to use it, which is sort of right. What does happen though, is each time you venture into a new territory, it needs to download those area maps. If you don't have either A) a data plan (you just rely on wi-fi) and B) a wi-fi signal or cell tower nearby
You won't be using Navionics in the newly visited areas as you go.
I took it kayaking and had no info.

You should be able to download an area beforehand so it will work where you have no reception.

callatis

Recruit

Hi, I have the HD version for tablet, $54.99 CAD. This year I bought the Map Options Update for $4.99 and it gave me the depth contours from Navionics+. Seeing this one I am going to update my Hotmaps to Navionics+

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

I recently got it and love it. About 8 or 9 years ago I bought a $250 Lowrance hand held GPS and $100 MN lake chip.

For $15 now I have the same technology except it:
Doesn't eat through AA batteries like they're going out of style
Zooms instantly, the lowrance was push the button and wait
Has maps for all of the US not just MN