Marine radio

TrevHolio

Recruit
Hey guys, new to the forum and had a question for ya.
I recently got my first ever boat, 19 footer I use mainly for on the lake. As I do live on the coast of BC I do want to take it on the ocean cautiously of course.
I'm looking for some info on which radio to purchase, ideally no more then $200 if possible.
Just looking for a basic one really, best bang for the buck sort of deal.

Thanks a lot

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Marine radio

Hey guys, new to the forum and had a question for ya.
I recently got my first ever boat, 19 footer I use mainly for on the lake. As I do live on the coast of BC I do want to take it on the ocean cautiously of course.
I'm looking for some info on which radio to purchase, ideally no more then $200 if possible.
Just looking for a basic one really, best bang for the buck sort of deal.

Thanks a lot

Ayuh,.... I assume yer talkin' 'bout a Vhf, aka: a ship to shore, 'n not a Music radio,..??

Bifflefan

Commander

Any one that has DSC in it is worth having. Then you also need a GPS or Fishfinder GPS combo to tell the radio where it is located.
That way if you ever need to send a distress call it will send your position automatically so the Coast Guard can find you. Also other boats with that setup can find you too. You can also find others in distress the same way.
If you were only staying on inland lakes, then DSC is really not a necessity.
You can read up on DSC all over the web.

tpenfield

Staff member

Are you looking to have a permanently installed VHF radio or a handheld?

If permanently instlled, also figure in some money for the antenna . . .

MAC ATTACK

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just went through this myself. Went with a handheld for 2 reasons; 1- I hardly ever fish more than 5 miles from shore (flats) and 2- I like to be able to carry it in another boat if needed as I often fish with friends and some do not have one (big lakes)

If you are on the big water a lot or go offshore a ways then a permanently mounted radio with good antenna is best

waterinthefuel

Commander

I recommend the little Uniden Solara D. Full 25 watts of power in a fully class D compliant DSC radio for under 100 dollars, 92 in the cheapest place I can find online. I can find you an 8" whip for 36 dollars with 6db gain, so for under 150 shipped, I could set you up with a great little radio that's good for 20 miles in all directions.

uniden-solara-d.gif

Last edited:

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I prefer the Standard Horison brand, they have one for around $120 another 80 should get you an antenna and mount. You say you live on the B.C. coast, the Vancouver boat show is on in a couple of weeks, should be some good deals to be had.

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You can't go wrong with a Standard brand radio. I have one in my boat now but I have also been happy with Icom brand. A good antenna is almost as important as the radio assuming you go with a built in and not a portable.

TrevHolio

Recruit

Sorry for the super long delay on a reply guys, had some PC issues.

Dan T, I'm also in Terrace, small world.
Thanks for all the info guys, really helped me out, still going to do some review reading before I buy, but all of this really narrowed my search down.

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice

I like the Standard Horizon GX1700. It has the required DSC ,but more importantly it has the GPS built in to support the DSC without having to buy a GPS unit and wiring it to the radio. I bought one for my boat in December for just under $200 online including shipping. Works very well!

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

TrevHolio

Recruit

After some reading I think Im going to go with the GX1700, then internal gps is perfect for my small boat, I can have this and just use a handheld gps for markin fishing spots and what not.

Ideas for places to buy marine equipment in Canada??

wrench 3

Commander

I've been dealing with Marine Outfitters for years and they always have some great deals. Although my shipping may be cheaper than yours. I was actually in their store once. They're a nice bunch of people.
BTW the Canadian government says that you need a "restricted operator's certificate (maritime)" to transmit on VHF. I don't know how many people listen to them though.