Kill Switches, which one?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a question for those of you that has experience in kill switches. As some of you may know, I am completely rebuilding an old '76 Tom Boy tri-haul boat. Well I'm nearing the stage to purchasing some electrical items and would like to hear which kill switches you like and why. I used to own a Bass boat and it had an inline six mercury on it. And of course it had Mercury controls with kill switch. I did like that type and was wondering what others have used and like. The boat I am rebuilding has a 40 HP Johnson with Johnson controls but there was no kill switch include. So I have an open area to install most any type I like. Any ideas, pros or cons?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Kill Switches, which one?

It's kind of your choice. They're all very simple.

You can see two examples here:

kill switch - iboats

One type holds a button in, the other holds a button out. They both do the same thing, just break a circuit.

The one that holds a button in would be easier to defeat in case the lanyard clip breaks.

By the way, buy an extra lanyard clip. They do get broken.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Actually I know how to wire most any type. I was merely asking for which ones folks seem to like the better. I understand how they all work but was wondering if one type had a better operation or design or either a more reliable rate then the others...

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the "button held in" type.

As I mentioned, if you break the clip, you can start the engine by simply holding the button in.

I've never had one fail. Either type. I have had clips break. Both types.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

The Toggle Style Switch can be turned ON again without the lanyard attached.

It makes recovery of the lost helmsman (You?) much faster!
If the Helmsman goes overboard and takes the lanyard with him, any passenger remaining on-board could re-energize the engine even though the lanyard is 100 yards astern.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The Toggle Style Switch can be turned ON again without the lanyard attached.

It makes recovery of the lost helmsman (You?) much faster!
If the Helmsman goes overboard and takes the lanyard with him, any passenger remaining on-board could re-energize the engine even though the lanyard is 100 yards astern.

Ha, thanks for your input. Actually those toggle switch type kill switches are what I was leaning towards. That is what I previously used and I really like that option. I just wondered what others thought. In fact I just finished biding on a toggle switch type kill switch. Hope I get it... Thanks again all!

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ha, thanks for your input. Actually those toggle switch type kill switches are what I was leaning towards. That is what I previously used and I really like that option. I just wondered what others thought. In fact I just finished biding on a toggle switch type kill switch. Hope I get it... Thanks again all!

That's what Mercury uses in their control boxes. I've never seen one seperate from the box but see no reason it couldn't be mounted somewhere else.

Good idea. Just don't get lazy and NOT use it!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

That's what Mercury uses in their control boxes. I've never seen one seperate from the box but see no reason it couldn't be mounted somewhere else.

Good idea. Just don't get lazy and NOT use it!

Yes those are usually the Mercury used kill switches. They offer them as a separate assembly so you can install the kill switch where ever you chose. I like that fact that if the switch does go bad (very unlikely though), most any SPST toggle switch will work as a replacement. But you need their switch housing to make it work properly. Thanks for your input as well!