Need to remove ancient shore power outlet

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was disconnected long ago - the boat no longer has nor wants shore power as such - but I would like to install a simple plastic receptacle for the charger I am going to install. Can this be removed or do I have to leave it there and drill a new hole for the new piece?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need to remove ancient shore power outlet

It was disconnected long ago - the boat no longer has nor wants shore power as such - but I would like to install a simple plastic receptacle for the charger I am going to install. Can this be removed or do I have to leave it there and drill a new hole for the new piece?

Ayuh,.... A picture of whatever yer talkin' 'bout would be nice,.... a pic of Both sides would be Great,...

Anything can be removed,.... the amount of collateral damage is the big question,...

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

2013-08-02 17.15.56 (2).jpg2013-12-26 11.24.04 (2).jpg

The exterior side is currently under shrink wrap but I was able to pick these out of the collection. I could get a clearer shot of the inside if need be. I hadn't remembered that there seems to be screws on the outside flange so your request for pics did result in some light being shed. :)

alldodge

Staff member

View attachment 220329View attachment 220330

The exterior side is currently under shrink wrap but I was able to pick these out of the collection. I could get a clearer shot of the inside if need be. I hadn't remembered that there seems to be screws on the outside flange so your request for pics did result in some light being shed. :)

From the interior pic the connector is not being used. The four screws on the outside can be removed and the connector can be pulled out. You could install a 120V male plug but it needs to be rain tight. If the connector is the locking type it may still be good. You would just need the female end connector. If you want to go standard you could use one in the link below but need something to keep the rain out and it is probably a bit smaller then the original connector.

CONNECT CHARGE BLACK - Actuant Electrical 150CCI - iboats

Edit: Or just as expensive this type
SmartPlug 30 Amp Boatside Inlet and Connector B30ASSY - iboats

Last edited:

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks AllDodge - I guess the removal is a lot simpler than I had been thinking. As for the replacement, I had already bought a Marinco unit like that in the first link but without the built in male plug since the charger comes with a plug on the power cord. Supposedly there will be a way to secure the plug in the cylinder - which comes with a hinged cover plate.

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks AllDodge - I guess the removal is a lot simpler than I had been thinking. As for the replacement, I had already bought a Marinco unit like that in the first link but without the built in male plug since the charger comes with a plug on the power cord. Supposedly there will be a way to secure the plug in the cylinder - which comes with a hinged cover plate.

Your current connector will have terminals on the back of it to secure each of the wires. The male plug that is on the end of your charger would need to be cut off and wired directly to the connector.

30 Amp 125 Volt Power Inlet (White) | Marinco

After making connection you would need the female connector below to connect shore power.

30 Amp 125 Volt Locking Connector | Marinco

UncleWillie

Captain

I think you may have over thought this one.

You want to remove the existing Shore Power inlet and replace it with another inlet for the onboard charger, so that you can supply it with Shore Power!

Why not just use your present inlet connector?
It may be way overrated for the application, but it already exists!

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pedestal power source is standard 15A household-type receptacle with GF. I am so far not really familiar with marine plugs, connectors and cords as I have had no reason to be other than to now and then plug in whatever is there. However I have just assumed that to use the existing shore power inlet on board I would need to spend a fair amount of money on adapters etc. as well as circuit protection at the inlet. All this one one hand, vs. running an extension cord under the canvas on the other extreme. It seems simpler to pop out and replace the inlet fixture and use the existing OEM male plug.

Or is this wrong-headed?

alldodge

Staff member

The pedestal power source is standard 15A household-type receptacle with GF. I am so far not really familiar with marine plugs, connectors and cords as I have had no reason to be other than to now and then plug in whatever is there. However I have just assumed that to use the existing shore power inlet on board I would need to spend a fair amount of money on adapters etc. as well as circuit protection at the inlet. All this one one hand, vs. running an extension cord under the canvas on the other extreme. It seems simpler to pop out and replace the inlet fixture and use the existing OEM male plug.

Or is this wrong-headed?

Your thinking just fine and have two ways to do it with your existing connector opening.

1) If the existing connector is ok on the boat all you would need is the mating female connector on an extension cord to the standard 120V male plug to your pedestal. Your battery charger would be connected to the inside of the existing connector

2) You can remove the existing connector and replace with a standard male 120V plug connector type. Wire your battery charger to the backside of the new 120V connector. Use an extension cord to the pedestal.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, that's pretty clear. Thanks.