Switches and Battery's, it's a power thing.

sam am I

Commander
Boring in here today, might as well...:D

This might take a bit to build up and to organize, pardon the delay...

test_setup.jpg

Two spice plots [ummm, a computer ran math modeled simulation of the above drawing(similar), we got to Mars this way.....breathe, this shouldn't hurt] below of the the circuit above

Sim 1 Parallel_Start_1.jpg Sim 2 start on two.jpg

In an earlier post, I made a statement specifically about paralleling a well discharged batt(or shorted batt). with a not so discharged(full'ish) batt., and that that, wasn't necessarily "best practice"

Just thought I'd follow up on that, slow day again..........I made this example above, lets say somehow the start batt. is pretty much drained/ing somehow (load_1 is a higher but lower non-linear inverse resistance (mho's^3) jiffy pop tin foil pop corn pan that blew somehow magically in the start batt circuit wiring.......just messing with ya) to where the starter motor just takes a S*&^ when trying to start on the start batt.

The "off, 1 both 2" (errrr off, on, both) switch of course is set to "1"("on") and is the start batt, of course( green lines) my ACR is working perfectly, life is great, winds' in my hair and POOF, NOTHING when you hit the key, so you switch to "both" see Sim 1 at 6Ks.

Note the power envelope integral value in Joules(power). This is the total amount of power available from the paralleled batts delivered to and used by the cranking starter over time in sec's until the batts voltage is down to 9 volts (assume the starter would be kicking out around there)

So same thing in Sim. 2 but, don't switch into "both", switch it just to "2", note the envelope integral value and width(crank time) difference's ....There is almost twice the power available/consumed by the starter to do work with (it's job). Also note the crank time increased as well before the batt. is down to that same 9 Volts point. Again, by switching to just "2" as opposed to "both" (switching in a dead'ish batt)

Yes, those cranking times are both long enough, no doubt, no debate there..........but, the point here is "what if?" You might need that extra power and crank time for some reason, flooded engine, who knows, might be switching over in an emergency situation eh?........maybe even use it to run a inverter longer to make even icier ice for bygolly crap sakes.

Sooooooo, the point Dodge? What if, you had a switch that only could do "off, on, both"? what would you recommend? A "off, 1 both 2"? or stay with the "off, on, both"?

I didn't show the current spike at the time of where the switch is paralleling (ummm, "bothing") because there could be weak constitutions here and it's pretty sick!! This also causes loss of energy in the form of heat..........nother story, nother time.

So ideally, there was no real energy loss during the switch to "both", it was just moved and was conserved. It could then, in theory at some point come out in the wash IF the starter was capable of starting the engine down to say 0'ish volts for example. I just picked 9 volts as a reasonable drop-out point for both battery and starter

Happens on Mars (or Earth)

Of course your results can very...Times, magnitudes, scales, run-times, capacities etc were set for and chosen in such a way and with the sole intention to show as close as possible some, but not all, realistic qualitative and quantitative results in a specific scenario , and are to be used for instructional purposes only, information herein is merely JMO and I could be wrong as always!!! Whewwwwwwww, that should get me off the hook.

Oh, Alternators' current was set to infinite else the simulations would run for hours, charging obviously wasn't the crux here but, thought recharging part way into the simulations after a brief dis-charge gave a level of realism i reckon.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Switches and Battery's, it's a power thing.

While your contemplating the question, instead of a double pole double through relay, should only need a single pole single through to put both banks together

sam am I

Commander

I only do requests on Sunday and It's not a relay..geeesh, tough crowd. Beating up a switch already....Dang

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Sorry, I'll sit back and wait for the full question and explaination

sam am I

Commander

I'm BBQ'ing Steak and making a drawing at same time..........Ya might wanna take a nap

alldodge

Staff member

Dang !!! BBQ'ing steak, siffering high end electrotronic diogarmmey's and doing iboats You be the dude I am

Say good night Gracie