USB NMEA Cable to WM VHF 580 Radio???

Kevlar7R

Cadet
I have been searching, both internet, and on the forum, and can't find anyone else in my same dilemma.

I have a West Marine VHF 580 Radio (with DSC) and I am setting up navigation with a PC and GPS receiver. I am using OpenCPN nav software, and purchased a Digital Yacht USB NMEA cable. I hooked up the wires the way I figured would work (Orange to Yellow on both units, plus ground) and the radio is not receiving GPS.

I would like to get this working for the Distress call feature of the DSC radio.

Any NMEA wiring experts out there? How do I hook these together?

Last edited:

Kevlar7R

Cadet
Re: USB NMEA Cable to WM VHF 580 Radio???

Here are the wiring diagrams for the 2 units. I am wondering if I need to put Orange from the cable to the Green of the radio, but then I am not sure about the others. Any help would be greatly appreciated. DigitalYacht Wiring0001.jpgVHF 580 Wiring0001.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Out (org) from gps goes to in (grn) on radio. Grd goes to grd

Last edited:

Kevlar7R

Cadet

Dingbat,

I thought about trying that setup next, but then how does the NMEA stream receive from the radio, for instance when a position request is received, or a distress call is received? Perhaps Yellow to Yellow?

Kevlar7R

Cadet

Dingbat,

Your advice worked. I tried a couple other combinations for the receive signal. I guess there is no way to know for sure unless I have someone send me their position.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

White and brown are the outputs for the radio. Connect to in input (yellow) on your gps

Last edited: