REMOTE Control Users / Do I Make The Leap?

mrlewp87

Cadet
My first trolling motor was electric steering. It was noisy and slow. But, it was OLD when I acquired it with the jon boat. (I'm 62, and noisy at times... ;- ) After mending it several times, I went for a new MotorGuide. It was 5-speed, and cable steering. I looked into it and thought this would be quieter, and it was. But.. I hated the chrome finished shaft, acting as a beacon of light with the slightest bit of sun on it. (note; very shallow fresh waters of De.)
I'm going for Minn Kota this time, and just flipped on the steering issue, from cable to electric again. Prime reason; the 18 ft. cable that would allow me to operate the motor from anywhere on the boat. But now, my mind has been opened to the notion of a "palm" type remote system. Fellow told me you can attach it to your wrist?
Please!! Anyone with experience with one of these, can you offer up some thoughts. Likes, AND Dis-likes! You're wrestling in the big one, the barb has popped out and is now barely clinging to his whisker! (if it's a catfish, I dont want it anyway. Unless to eat, someone else the cook.ha) Anyway - as this is happening, you can manage to free up a hand to make fine/ or quick adjustments to the trolling motor? Or, would you just kill power and drift until the "biggest" bite of the day jumps loose? (isnt it always the biggest one you lose? Ha)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: REMOTE Control Users / Do I Make The Leap?

You become a one handed fisherman with a fob style remote. your feet now do nothing while your hands get busier. But it's your money so buy whatever lights your fire.

mrlewp87

Cadet

Uh, thanks(?) You have experience with a palm remote? Or, dont? You did in the past? And, liked it.. or not? Oh, you observed someone using one, and knew it was your next move,.. or not?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

My son's got one, its GREAT and he has no problems using it with a big fish on.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My neighbor has one and I've fished with him on many occasions. After observing his boat control it became perfectly clear I would not own one. Over time we ended up using my boat with a foot controlled motor as his become troublesome and unreliable. Try this. Pick up the remote for your TV and hold a rod in the other hand. Or, strap the remote on your wrist. Or dangle it on a lanyard around your neck. Or strap it to the rod. Then use the UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT buttons as though you were steering and controlling speed. Regardless where you put it, you still need to control it with at least one hand. When that hand is operating the remote you cannot be retrieving a lure or fighting a fish bigger than a crappie. Where and how you fish would play a big part in how effective or ineffective a remote becomes. If you fish in a stump field and have to navigate through it while trolling, you are going to be a busy person. If you tend to follow a break or shoreline then Co-Pilot or I-Pilot may be a good choice. If you use it simply to move from one location to another, it would be a viable option. Lots of things on the market today outwardly seem like the cats meow but in reality become a pain the you know what a bit after you tote it home and actually use it. Then there is the issue of batteries (which will be dead and you won't have spares when you need them the most.). Added complexity creates more points of failure. But as I said, it's your money and the way you fish means this may be what you will be pleased with. I would spend a great deal of "Google" time checking on Model xxxx Reliability articles and reviews. Like this one: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MotorGuide trolling motors, Wireless Edition, freshwater (55 lb thrust)

Splat

Lieutenant

I have one on my terrova. I love it, but use it in conjunction with the foot pedal.

I leave the remote on my rod and control it with my thumb. I would however not use it without the co-pilot system. Without you will spend too much time adjusting the motor back and forth to get it to track decently.

With the co-pilot system I can just bump the motor to a new compass heading, and as the boat swings around the motor automatically adjusts to hold that heading. Without, the boat would continue to turn until I manually put the motor straight again.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

A few months back, I purchased a Minn Kota Terrova 80lb bow mount with I-pilot. It comes with both a foot control pedal and a handheld wireless remote. I absolutely love it! Now, I'm not the most experienced person out there, and I use it mostly for trolling in lakes and backtrolling in rivers. I have yet to use it for bass fishing and/or navigating stumps. But it has the flexibility of using either the pedal or the remote (which I hang around my neck). The I-pilot and co-pilot features are pretty sweet! When trolling, I often times have a kicker motor (8hp Yamaha 4 stroke) running at a slow idle, providing forward thrust. I drop the bow mount trolling motor, turn it up to about 3/10 and use it mostly for steering.

I particularly like the remote around my neck when fishing by myself or helping land other's fish. I can work the net, or use pliers to remove hooks, or whatever, and if I need to make a correction, I just tap the remote from wherever I'm at in the boat.

Ken

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe its a minn kota 80lb my friend/coworker has, with the foot controls. He loves it.. mostly fishes muskie around here (georgian bay) and apparently it even hooks up to his gps.. has a 'hold position' feature, keeps the boat stationary/at a set gps point regardless of wind or waves..

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

I believe its a minn kota 80lb my friend/coworker has, with the foot controls. He loves it.. mostly fishes muskie around here (georgian bay) and apparently it even hooks up to his gps.. has a 'hold position' feature, keeps the boat stationary/at a set gps point regardless of wind or waves..

The GPS feature that you mention is built into the trolling motor... that is the I-pilot. The feature that you mention is awesome. You can be trolling along and hook into a big one - you press a button on the remote and the trolling motor will keep you locked on that point! It will turn right, left, speed up and slow down - whatever it takes to keep you locked onto that point. You can also "mark" a number of locations that you can then navigate back to. The I-Pilot Link model (costs the most) will interface with certain Humminbird fishfinders, where you have a bunch more capabilities...

Ken

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The GPS feature that you mention is built into the trolling motor... The I-Pilot Link model (costs the most) will interface with certain Humminbird fishfinders, where you have a bunch more capabilities...

Ken

Ya, i believe that's the one hes got. Personaly i'm not into fishing at all, but thought the tech was pretty cool and my friend says he thinks its about the greatest thing since sliced bread.. :cool:

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have an 80lb thrust Terrova with i-pilot and it works great, the wired foot control doesn't respond exactly like a cable unit, but you get used to it.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I have the minnkota with electric steer. After using a cable steer for years,I just couldn't get used the foot control on the electric. so,I bought the "co-pilot" have used it for 3 years now and love it
The co-pilot wires through the foot control,so if really necessary with a 'fish-on',you can use the foot control any time. [I hang the hand fob around my neck with the supplied strap that came with it.]