Minn Kota or MotorGuide? To save $100

mrlewp87

Cadet
For my 17' Key Largo deep V, I want a minimum of 70 lb. thrust in a trolling motor. All else being equal for sake of argument, the MotorGuide saves me $100 - AND is 75 lb. thrust! Minn Kota- 70lb. I had a MG on my 14' jon a few years back. It always bothered me that the shaft was chrome, like a beacon to all fish that I was coming! ( shallow waters in De.) I intend on fishing the shallow waters a great deal now in Florida.
I'm already thinking- paint the shaft? Make a black sleeve for it? Or pay more for the Minn Kota? That $100 sure would help with the 24V battery (or 2/ 12s) and charger.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Minn Kota or MotorGuide? To save $100

Everyone I know prefers Minn Kota over MG unless it was free.

fishrdan

Admiral

I've had 3-4 Motor Guides and about the same for MinnKota, and prefer MinnKota, fit finish, function, noise, etc.

I don't think you could make a sleeve for the chrome shaft as the bracket tolerances are too close, and paint wouldn't stick to chrome too well and wear off quickly.

I have a 70# (74?) bow mount Motor Guide that works well though...

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fished with a guy that was using a MG it seemed very noisy to me but I'm used to my Minn Koda . I'm very happy with the Terrova model.

mrlewp87

Cadet
Re: Minn Kota / buy RE-Built ?

Re: Minn Kota / buy RE-Built ?

I'm for Minn Kota now. And I just flipped on the matter of type of drive. I'll deal with the 18' cable on the electric drive, so that I can sit anywhere on the boat and operate the motor !! (I know, there's remote control.;-))
Now, a new question; would you buy a factory-rebuilt system, with 1 yr. warranty? Service dealer on phone said it could be around 1/2 price!?? I've never seen that sort of discount for refurbished items. Sounds a little fishy, but question stands. Would ya?

fishrdan

Admiral

I've never seen the refurbs 1/2 price either, but I would buy one if I could buy it at 1/2 price total (shipping and taxes included in price).

I bought a basket case MK Vector TM for $50, added $150 in parts and it's been working great for the past 3 years..... That TM sold for over $500 when new. Point being, just because it's repaired, doesn't mean it's bad.

bassman284

Commander

I wouldn't be afraid of a reconditioned motor but the 1/2 price sounds optimistic.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have to be careful here. I owned a trolling motor repair and warranty shop for both brands. I was kicked off another forum forever for speaking my peace. Refurb does not always mean used up and repaired. Most times with my experience with MK it meant a return from a big box store that was barely used if at all. Sent back to the manufact and whatever was wrong if any was fixed. Most of the time it was something cosmetic if anything. I spent a week in training at MK standing beside someone doing the repairs and if was crap it went in the garbage. I bought lots of those for sell in my shop and but they were no way half price. Same warranty and absolutely no different than new but not half price. But at the time that's all I could sell and the sales rep offered me to by 20 to 30 new at a time my price the same as what the big box was selling them for. Hard to tie up 10 grand for no profit.

Last edited:

mrlewp87

Cadet
Re: Minn Kota / rebuilt

Re: Minn Kota / rebuilt

Thanks again all. I met with the serviceman yesterday. Sat and chatted for an hour. Learned a little more, and found confidence in the re-manufactured option. Only thing, can I wait until the right match pops up on his list? It's about a weekly update he gets, and never knows what will show up. There was an 80lb./ 54" shaft unit on his current list, and a good price at about $550. Too bad, as just before my visit with him, I had gone from hard-stance of pro cable-drive- to now wanting electric drive, the 18 ft. control line to foot pedal being the key.
Speaking of drive-type..... I'm going to start a new thread,.... instead............ Fred. (ugh .. ;- ) I dont want to "steer" this into yet a 3rd theme. (keyword- steer) Isn't that the proper behavior? (?)
Thanks again!