Garmin 160C displays message saying Sonar Failure

bsmith95610

Recruit
I took my boat out last weekend and when I turned on the fish finder the message saying "Sonar Failure" was displaying on the fish finder. The model fish finder is a Garmin 160C. The fish finder has always previously worked without any issues. I unplugged all of the wires going to the fish finder as well as the power wires then plugged them back in but the same message was displayed. Do you know what could be causing this issue? Would it be the receiver, wires, or the transducer? Any help would be much appreciated.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Garmin 160C displays message saying Sonar Failure

Not an expert here,but most 'ducers make a clicking sound when operating,that click bounces off the underwater objects back to the 'ducer,and displays the results on the screen. Check if it's clicking,bet it's not. Before ordering a new one contact Garmin to verify if thats the issue.
Grub

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not an expert here,but most 'ducers make a clicking sound when operating,
Only transducers attached to poorly designed, inexpensive sounders an audible "click". The audible sound is the pulse generator " clipping"

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Only transducers attached to poorly designed, inexpensive sounders an audible "click". The audible sound is the pulse generator " clipping"

Ok I understand that. But I've installed thru-hull transducers that cost $500.00+ that clearly make a sound when turned on. That would be the pulse generator,right? If no audible sound at all,it must be broken?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ok I understand that. But I've installed thru-hull transducers that cost $500.00+ that clearly make a sound when turned on. That would be the pulse generator,right? If no audible sound at all,it must be broken?
You could connect a $4K transducer to a clipping head unit and it's going to make noise. That's because the problems lies in the head unit. My Airmar B164 connected to a Furuno FCV585 doesn't click. My old Si-tex CVS-832 didn't click and these are both 1kW transducers.

Last edited: